Help?! I'm Trying To Make Debbie Brown's Fondant Right Now..

Decorating By JaeRodriguez Updated 31 May 2009 , 2:54am by Lisaa1996

JaeRodriguez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaeRodriguez Posted 31 May 2009 , 1:33am
post #1 of 10

I'm making fondant for the first time and I'm using the recipe out of Debbie Brown's Enchanted Cakes book. I substituted 2tsp of meringue + 2tblspn of water for the egg white, I have about a cup and a half of powdered sugar to add in still but the fondant "ball" is falling to peices and not really letting me mix in the sugar! Is this normal, should I continue or have I messed up somehow? Thank you!

9 replies
liha21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liha21 Posted 31 May 2009 , 1:41am
post #2 of 10

I make my fondant using toba Garret's recipe, have never used the one you are talking about, sorry can't help you there. I love Toba's fondant, so if you don't have luck with this one, give mine a try. I got the recipe here on cc.

JaeRodriguez Posted 31 May 2009 , 1:54am
post #3 of 10

Thank you liha21, I might have to try that recipe. I guess I would like to know does fondant usually get hard and fall apart before you are done making it? I was thinking it should still be softer and stuck together somewhat...

Lisaa1996 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisaa1996 Posted 31 May 2009 , 2:05am
post #4 of 10

I've found that the fondant usually won't take all the PS that the recipe calls for. Add in a little at a time until it gets a smooth consistency and make sure to use plenty of Crisco on your hands to help keep the fondant moist.

JaeRodriguez Posted 31 May 2009 , 2:14am
post #5 of 10

Ah! Crisco on my hands, I will try that before I totally give up! I'll be back if it's still not working for any other advice! Thank you! thumbs_up.gif

cksweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cksweets Posted 31 May 2009 , 2:20am
post #6 of 10

i found that sometimes i heat it up in the microwave...like 5-10 seconds at a time. working in shortening also really helps!!

good luck girlie!

JaeRodriguez Posted 31 May 2009 , 2:43am
post #7 of 10

maybe i should have done the microwave thing! i worked with shortening but i gave it up and chunked it in the trash! :[ any other fondant recipes/tips you guys can give me? i'm kind of discouraged but i bought the wilton box fondant and used it, while that was a lot easier, it tastes horrible! i was hoping to find a recipe that i could make that would taste decent!

thank y'all for your help! :]

madhattercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madhattercakes Posted 31 May 2009 , 2:50am
post #8 of 10

I know this post is a little late but I tried the recipe on CC called Rhonda's MMF (marshmallow fondant) and it is pretty good and sweet tasting. Sticky but easier to work with than what you were working with it sounds like.

JaeRodriguez Posted 31 May 2009 , 2:54am
post #9 of 10

thank you madhattercakes! i will try something else i think i might try Rhonda's MMF, I had someone else tell me to use MMF already! I just didn't listen icon_razz.gif haha Can anyone tell me if you have to use different types of fondant for different cakes? I'm trying to do the Enchanted Tree it's a 3D cake...

Lisaa1996 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisaa1996 Posted 31 May 2009 , 2:54am
post #10 of 10

I LOVE the Rhonda's Ulitimate MMF!!! It's on CC and it taste's really good as well as being VERY easy to work with. You can also put other flavors into it. I made a raspberry fondant a few weeks ago to go on a white chocolate raspberry cake! YUM!!!!!
I am going to try Michele Foster's this week too because I want a white chocolate fondant and everyone seems to rave about hers!
I have strictly used Rhonda's MMF up until now though and have had zero issues!!! HTH!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%