How To Stack A Cake?

Decorating By LadyAlmuina Updated 1 Jun 2009 , 12:25am by LadyAlmuina

LadyAlmuina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyAlmuina Posted 30 May 2009 , 3:41pm
post #1 of 8

Hi,

I was wondering if i can get some help.... I want to stack my cake only 2 teirs maybe 3 but how do i make it sturdy enough so it won't cave into the bottom one?

Thanks for all your help!!!! icon_confused.gif

7 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 30 May 2009 , 4:02pm
post #2 of 8

Hi there, First you need to have same size boards under the tiers that goes on the top. Then you have dowel (wooden rods) the bottom tier if you are doing a two tier cake. If you are doing a thre tier cake, you need to dowel the bottom tier and next one as well. Are you going to cover the cakes with buttercream or fondant?

Here is a useful link from Wilton,

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/tiered-cakes/stacked-tiered-cake-construction.cfm

Here is a great video from one of our own CC member, Serious cakes on how to stack a cake,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHSzbG_y9JE&feature=channel_page

HTH. icon_smile.gif

LadyAlmuina Posted 31 May 2009 , 2:33am
post #3 of 8

OMG thankyou for your reply... I'll being doing it out of fondant... I'll will also be my first time, thats why i'm so nervous about it!

Thanks for your help if you have any other tips i would love to hear about them!!!

Thanks again!

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 31 May 2009 , 12:07pm
post #4 of 8

You are welcome! icon_smile.gif Loads of decorators use the SPS system which is quite good if youare transporting a cake. If you are not taking it anywhere, wooden dowels or bubbleteas straws are fine. icon_smile.gif

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 31 May 2009 , 12:25pm
post #5 of 8

You can also check out Edna's tutorial on youtube. She is such a sweetheart. Oh and don't forget to add a center dowel that will go through the board. It will save you from potential problems.

LadyAlmuina Posted 31 May 2009 , 2:35pm
post #6 of 8

When you say through the board you mean all the way to the top of the next teir? Like one dowel from top to bottom of the cake in the center?

I'm not sure what the SPS system is... I will be taking it to a park for my daughters birthday!

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 31 May 2009 , 4:49pm
post #7 of 8

Yes, It will go from the 2nd tier to the bottom tier. You sharpen the end of a dowel (some people use an unused sharpener, I use a serrated knife) and push it from the top, until it touches the very bottom of the first tier. It will go through the cake board in between tiers.

LadyAlmuina Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 12:25am
post #8 of 8

Oh...... OK Great!!!

thanks a MILLION!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%