Customers And Others Wanting Your Recipe, What Do You Do?

Decorating By CarrieBear Updated 7 Jun 2009 , 3:57am by Cake-Gal

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 3:10am
post #91 of 101

I've only read through half of this, but had to recall the episode of Friends where Phoebe's grandmother died leaving behind everyone to wonder what her secret chocolate chip cookie recipe could have been... Monica works to duplicate the recipe only in the end to have come to the realization that it was Nestle Toll House all along! icon_biggrin.gif

I love to compete in my State Fair and have been blessed to have won a few ribbons and awards along the way. Unfortunately, once you win, the recipe becomes the property of the company for whom you created it or is published in the official State Fair Cookbook --so much for secrets. Last year, I won in the Hidden Valley contest and had to turn over my recipe to them. icon_sad.gif

Some of the most recognizable faces in the industry share their recipes for their cakes and frostings, but I'm willing to bet they don't share what has made them most famous! That being said, I don't think there is anything wrong with having a few you are willing to divulge and a few you keep close to your heart (and locked away in your safe which reminds me of the 'Soup Nazi' episode of Seinfeld...)

icon_biggrin.gif

CarrieBear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarrieBear Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 2:00pm
post #92 of 101

lol I remember that episode of friends too, I thought of that too when I posted this qustion, thats classic.

Cake-Gal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake-Gal Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 2:34pm
post #93 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Win

Some of the most recognizable faces in the industry share their recipes for their cakes and frostings, but I'm willing to bet they don't share what has made them most famous! That being said, I don't think there is anything wrong with having a few you are willing to divulge and a few you keep close to your heart (and locked away in your safe which reminds me of the 'Soup Nazi' episode of Seinfeld...)

icon_biggrin.gif

Many of the recognizable faces share their recipes in classes and/or books--that's how they get income from the info. I guess that's why it's not OK to copy or share recipes or info from books they've worked hard on and hope to sell--it's like someone else giving out a baker's secret recipe--it could prevent future sales.

Donnagardner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnagardner Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 2:55pm
post #94 of 101

It really depends on who is asking me for my recipe. If it is a close friend I will share although most of them are not mine anyway. I figure the rest of them can get online and research just like I did. I will tell them it is a doctored mix and they can go from there.

steplite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steplite Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 3:00pm
post #95 of 101

I used to bake from scratch all the time until finding this site. Now I do both and my biggest selling cake is my pineapple/coconut WASC cake minus the almond with my own touches. I use DH white cake mix. I have at least three orders for this cake a week. I get asked for the recipe all the time. I don't want them to think it's from a box because everyone thinks it's from scratch. I know a seasoned baker can tell a scratch from a box so I switch up and do scratch then do the DH. So what I do when they ask for the recipe, I google a pineapple coconut cake recipe and give it to them. I just can't bring my self to tell people that some of my cakes that they think are homemade are from a mix.

sara91 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sara91 Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 3:37pm
post #96 of 101

Some of the celebrity chef recipes that are published are not really the real recipes they use. They change them a little.

If you are going into business don't give out your recipes. You have to differentiate yourself from the competition not play Mr Nice Guy.

Your delicious cakes are your selling point. Restaurants don't give out their specialty dish recipes.

I say, ' I am glad you find my cake so delicious that you would like the recipe. I am sorry but my business cannot give out its secret recipes, they are very special and have taken me a long time to perfect. I can however recommend this recipe that gives a good cake'

Then I tell them about a recipe that they can easily google, that everyone knows about.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 5:11pm
post #97 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cake-Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Win

icon_biggrin.gif

Many of the recognizable faces share their recipes in classes and/or books--that's how they get income from the info. I guess that's why it's not OK to copy or share recipes or info from books they've worked hard on and hope to sell--it's like someone else giving out a baker's secret recipe--it could prevent future sales.

I was not referring to already printed recipes,.... to clarify the "you" in my statement is plural. In other words, if you (again, pl) have a recipe you don't mind sharing, then share away, if you have some you keep close to your heart, don't worry about not sharing.

CarrieBear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarrieBear Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 6:31pm
post #98 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by steplite

I used to bake from scratch all the time until finding this site. Now I do both and my biggest selling cake is my pineapple/coconut WASC cake minus the almond with my own touches. I use DH white cake mix. I have at least three orders for this cake a week. I get asked for the recipe all the time. I don't want them to think it's from a box because everyone thinks it's from scratch. I know a seasoned baker can tell a scratch from a box so I switch up and do scratch then do the DH. So what I do when they ask for the recipe, I google a pineapple coconut cake recipe and give it to them. I just can't bring my self to tell people that some of my cakes that they think are homemade are from a mix.

I can agree with you on that, not wanting people to know its partially box mix.

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 1:39am
post #99 of 101

Some of the last few posts raise an issue I've wondered about. I have seen recipes (Toba's glace, for example) on CC that are from cookbooks I have purchased. Did the cookbook authors give consent for their recipes to be printed here? If I wrote a cookbook, I wouldn't want people printing my recipes for others to obtain for free.

ayerim979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ayerim979 Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 1:46am
post #100 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

I say it's a trade secret.
But apparently if you ask my daughter she'll give it to you.

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif (that'snotfunny!) icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Where's the <I'll strangle her smilie face>?

Too funny sorry my lil brother is like that can never keep a secret lol!!!

Cake-Gal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake-Gal Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 3:57am
post #101 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthecake

Some of the last few posts raise an issue I've wondered about. I have seen recipes (Toba's glace, for example) on CC that are from cookbooks I have purchased. Did the cookbook authors give consent for their recipes to be printed here? If I wrote a cookbook, I wouldn't want people printing my recipes for others to obtain for free.

If the information is from a copyrighted book, it cannot legally be shared without the author and/or publisher's permission.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%