Help Tips And Advise For Making This Wedding Cake!im 'rusty!

Decorating By linsa Updated 30 May 2009 , 6:33pm by mmdiez10

linsa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linsa Posted 30 May 2009 , 2:24pm
post #1 of 8

http://www.brides.com/planning/cakes/feature/slide/174109/#slide_174111

I have been asked to make this cake for about 250 people. This is a small cake! In keeping somewhat within the dimensions but getting more servings what size cake pans should I use? I am also making a separate sheet cake so that I can provide another flavor and more servings. Is there somewhere that says how many servings a such and such size pan provides and how many cups is needed?

Also I am going to be using real ribbon at the base...what's the best kind so that it doesn't absorb the fat from the buttercream?

Also about how many flowers do I need?

7 replies
The_Sugar_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 30 May 2009 , 2:37pm
post #2 of 8

Gosh, if someone sent me that picture I'd be so nervous because Buddy's gumpaste roses are beautifl! I don't think I could get mine to look like that. Have you made gumpaste roses before? About cake serving sizes; all the Wilton yearbooks have a serving chart in them. I'd post it for you but I'm feeding my little one a bottle on my lap right now. The Wilton website probably has it there. Good luck, I hope it turns out really well for you!

minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 30 May 2009 , 2:51pm
post #3 of 8

That is sooo pretty...I would make or buy 10-12 roses at various stages..keeping in mind how thin and fragile they are. Make sure either the cake or the decos are adjusted for scale. I am not sure you will get the same effect with fabric ribbon...the whole scheme is tone on tone and texture on texture. Monochromatic. HTH.

linsa Posted 30 May 2009 , 3:07pm
post #4 of 8

I am actually going to buy flowers at my local cake shop...they do personal orders on top of a great premade selection. The colors are also going to be hot pink not off white

minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 30 May 2009 , 3:14pm
post #5 of 8

Ok...I "paint" my ribbons with simple syrup to seal them off. I have a friend that irons them between 2 sheets of wax paper. There are numerous other tips....

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 30 May 2009 , 3:18pm
post #6 of 8

DOes it HAVE to be just a 3-tier cake? For 250 people, I'd be making a 5 or 6 tier cake. I'm not sure you CAN make cake for 250 in just 3 tiers. (I'm sure it's possible SOME how, but I think it would look like a short, fat, squatty looking cake.)

linsa Posted 30 May 2009 , 6:15pm
post #7 of 8

Yes, they want it really simple, what size layers should I do and then how many sheet cakes? They do want sheet cakes for the extra...these tips are great...keep em comin'!

mmdiez10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdiez10 Posted 30 May 2009 , 6:33pm
post #8 of 8

Well, in order to calculate how many sheet cakes you need, you first need to check a size/serving chart to see how big you can go with round cakes without letting the cake look short and squat (like Indydebi said). Then knowing how many servings you get from the round tiered cake, you can calculate how many sheet cakes to make. Just look at a Wilton catalog or here on CC for a size/serving chart. For the roses, size matters. If you make more large ones, then you would use less. Assorted sizes looks nicer. Better to make more in case of breakage. As for the ribbons, use a "ribbon" of wax paper under the fabric ribbon. Good luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%