Lift A Cake For A Topsy Turvey

Decorating By kathy777 Updated 31 May 2009 , 11:12am by kathy777

kathy777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathy777 Posted 30 May 2009 , 12:37pm
post #1 of 4

Ok so i think i messed up with the first tier.. But i am going to keep it and see.. thank goodness its just for my son and i aslo think that maby it will be fine once its froze. i hope ..

So i made the bottom layer of the topsy turvy cake its a 10",12" and 9" pan the 10 and 12 are stacked on the 9.. I went to go move the the 10 and 12 and they both broke while moving it. i know i am missing a peice to the 10 inch because in the process of moving it i found a peice on the table.. But needless to say i still got it on the cake it really didn't look different so i kept it.. Is this going to be ok? Is it still going to be able to support the other 2 tiers going on the cake?

And How in the world do i move those 2 tiers once torted i still have 6 cakes left to put on the cake??

One more lol.. How long in advance should i start putting the cake together? Its going to be in 2 weeks but i want to leave it frozen. should i take it out next sat and let it defost before i put the fondant on it or should i put the fondant on it while it is frozen..

Thanks for any help i really appreciate it..

3 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 30 May 2009 , 5:39pm
post #2 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathy777

So i made the bottom layer of the topsy turvy cake its a 10",12" and 9" pan the 10 and 12 are stacked on the 9..

Am I understanding correctly that you're doing an inverted topsy turvy so that the base is the smallest tier and the tiers get larger going up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathy777

And How in the world do i move those 2 tiers once torted i still have 6 cakes left to put on the cake??

How tall is each tier?

And which construction method are you using?

Sorry for so many questions, but MORE info is always helpful.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 30 May 2009 , 5:48pm
post #3 of 4

It sounds like you are using BKeith's method of TT. I would be afraid to use those 2 broken layers - when you cut the hole for the next tier to set on, it will really compromise the integrity of that structure. Even usuing a good support system - with that hole, I just would not want to risk it. icon_sad.gif

(that is just my - opinion, I have only done 2 TT cakes- someone with more experience than me may help you out.)

kathy777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathy777 Posted 31 May 2009 , 11:12am
post #4 of 4

yes i will be inserting the cake into the other cake

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%