Mff Was Fabulous, But Now I'm Scared! Sorry Kind Of Long!

Decorating By jardot22 Updated 11 Jun 2009 , 3:31pm by jardot22

jardot22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jardot22 Posted 29 May 2009 , 3:23pm
post #1 of 8

The other night I made a batch of MFF - the process was the same as usual, except I used a different brand of corn syrup. I usually use the walmart brand (Great Value), and it turns out great. This time I used Griffin b/c it was cheaper. Everything seemed fine as I was making it - I mixed it in my KA, incorporated about half of the sugar, and then added about another pound while kneading. It still seemed kind of soft, but I decided to stop and just add more if necessary after it sat for a while. Well, yesterday when I went to use it, it was super soft, but had no stretch to it. When i pulled on it, it would just come apart like chilled cookie dough does. I added coloring, same texture. I added corn syrup, glycerin, shortening, more powdered sugar, but it would not come together and get stretchy enough to roll out successfully. It's pretty humid here, but I doubt that's the reason. Do you think it's just the Griffin brand of corn syrup that made it go crazy? I didn't do anything differently so I am at a loss, and really scared about the cakes I have coming up because I have never had a problem with MFF before this! Any advice or help in solving this mystery would be greatly appreciated!

7 replies
Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 29 May 2009 , 6:03pm
post #2 of 8

Have you tried warming the fondant up in the microwave first - then working with it? I would think corn syrup is corn syrup......but I am by no means an expert!

jardot22 Posted 29 May 2009 , 6:06pm
post #3 of 8

Yes I did try warming it in the microwave, although the texture was very soft already. I would think corn syrup is corn syrup too, but I just can't figure out why else I would have results like this all of a sudden.

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 29 May 2009 , 6:11pm
post #4 of 8

When you are making it, add a bit less than the recommended amount of icing sugar. You don't always have to add it all in. When it has rested until the next day, check the texture, it may be perfect. It is easier to add in a bit of icing sugar the next day than to try to make it softer.

I also add 1 tbsp glycerine to my MMF. Makes a nicer texture.

jardot22 Posted 29 May 2009 , 6:27pm
post #5 of 8

Thanks dsilvest - I actually didn't add all of the recommended amount. I added probably about 3/4 of what the michelle foster's fondant recipe called for, and it was extremely soft when I quit kneading it, but I figured I could always add more sugar later. Oh well, I suppose I will try making another batch tonight with a different brand of corn syrup and see if that in fact was the problem.

jardot22 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 3:24pm
post #6 of 8

Just an update - I switched back to the walmart brand of corn syrup, and voila - it worked like a charm again. I wouldn't think that the corn syrup would make such a huge difference, but this is the only thing I changed. So be forwarned - Griffin brand corn syrup = fondant disaster! Thanks for all your help/suggestions icon_smile.gif

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 3:29pm
post #7 of 8

Thanks for the update - it really does help the rest of us! Glad things are back to normal now and working great. icon_biggrin.gif

jardot22 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 3:31pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks! I am very glad too! I really didn't want to rely on MMF again LOL.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%