Viva Paper Towels

Decorating By KellJ Updated 30 May 2009 , 8:40pm by dl5crew

KellJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KellJ Posted 29 May 2009 , 3:11am
post #1 of 15

Has anyone noticed a change in the paper towels? The last two packages I have bought aren't as thick as they use to be. Not soft at all anymore.

14 replies
dl5crew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dl5crew Posted 29 May 2009 , 3:28am
post #2 of 15

I have stopped purchasing them for this reason. I just buy Sparkle now.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 30 May 2009 , 3:21am
post #3 of 15

A lot of things are getting smaller nowadays. People just don't realize it.

margaretb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
margaretb Posted 30 May 2009 , 12:51pm
post #4 of 15

I have to ask -- what's the deal about Viva towels? Do they just not have any pattern or could you use any old paper towel but people like saying Viva? I've never seen the Viva brand here, so I'd like to know.

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 30 May 2009 , 1:12pm
post #5 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by margaretb

I have to ask -- what's the deal about Viva towels? Do they just not have any pattern or could you use any old paper towel but people like saying Viva? I've never seen the Viva brand here, so I'd like to know.

Viva doesn't have a texture, so you end up with a smooth cake. They feel more like fabric to me. Any paper towel with texture is going to put that same texture on your cake. I have seen cakes where that was done on purpose so it just depends on what you want your final finish to be.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 30 May 2009 , 3:26pm
post #6 of 15

So Sparkle doesn't have a texture either? I love Viva!

Alice1230 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alice1230 Posted 30 May 2009 , 3:33pm
post #7 of 15

I noticed that they don't feel the same but they still work.

VS8894 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VS8894 Posted 30 May 2009 , 3:36pm
post #8 of 15

Yeah, I just used them and they are rougher. I wish they would go back to the softer ones. Maybe it's just a bad batch! icon_confused.gif

Vicki

CAKEARTIST Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CAKEARTIST Posted 30 May 2009 , 3:36pm
post #9 of 15

What do you use the paper towels for?

Alice1230 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alice1230 Posted 30 May 2009 , 3:41pm
post #10 of 15

place the paper towel on your crusted icing and rub with fondant smoother to smooth your buttercream. I think there is an article on here about how to do it.

CAKEARTIST Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CAKEARTIST Posted 30 May 2009 , 3:54pm
post #11 of 15

I feel really dumb to ask this question but if I do not ask I will not know. What is crusted icing?

blu_canary Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blu_canary Posted 30 May 2009 , 4:00pm
post #12 of 15

does a paper towel work better than using a wooden roller? I'd heard the paper towel thing before, but have always used a roller---and sometimes it causes more damage than it fixes. I just can't seem to get it seasoned enough not to stick.

mommak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommak Posted 30 May 2009 , 5:44pm
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by blu_canary

does a paper towel work better than using a wooden roller? I'd heard the paper towel thing before, but have always used a roller---and sometimes it causes more damage than it fixes. I just can't seem to get it seasoned enough not to stick.

I actually use my roller when I use the paper towel method. That seems to work best for me.

Joyfull4444 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joyfull4444 Posted 30 May 2009 , 7:01pm
post #14 of 15

I stopped buying Viva some time ago. The sheets are different nowadays. They're thinner and shorter so you have to use a lot more of them to clean up spills and such.

Plus Viva here has a texture on both sides now too. Pretty usless for smoothing.

dl5crew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dl5crew Posted 30 May 2009 , 8:40pm
post #15 of 15

Sparkle is textured. I use the bumpy side if I want a textured icing. I use the other if I want it smoother.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%