How Much Would You Charge For This Cake?

Decorating By awestervelt Updated 30 May 2009 , 5:24pm by sweet_teeth

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 29 May 2009 , 11:02pm
post #31 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketgirl899

I get that.... I am not priceless (yet! I still have a long way to go).

I agree you gotta figure out what you are worth...

No no no no no no no.

You are so too priceless right now. You are just as priceless as everyone else is. We are all priceless.

Everybody tip toes through and says in high squeaky shakey voice "ooooh I don't want to chahhrge too-oo mu-uch." Why is that even our perspective? What's the worst that could happen--somebody not order?

Rocketgirl899 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketgirl899 Posted 30 May 2009 , 12:00am
post #32 of 36

well i realize I am priceless... i just don't think others realize it yet icon_biggrin.gif ok except you.

sorry the post got off topic OP!

deetmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deetmar Posted 30 May 2009 , 3:05am
post #33 of 36

pricing is hard for me to do too. I set down a price for wedding cakes with a starting price of $2.25 to $4.50 per serving depending on the difficulty of the cake. I add end perals, flowers, fondant, and piping.

I also picked up a price chart from some of the local backeries. I try to fall right in the middle, not to high, but not to low. I have gotten busy enough that I have set my prices a bit higher than the bakeries. If it's a cake I really want to do, I take that into consideration, as well as if it's a repeat client.

I believe you have to work with the prices in your area. In Iowa you will not get the same price for a cake that you would in New York.

I also try to keep the cost of my ingredients down by shopping at Costco and Sames. I go through over 70lbs of powdered sugar a week. But you have to make a profit or it isn't worth doing.

Yuni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yuni Posted 30 May 2009 , 1:51pm
post #34 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom_Of_4

Yuni,
What are the two different serving charts you use? I have been using the wilton serving chart, but I don't think it is an accurate account for birthday party slices. I just made a cake for 30 people based off of the wilton serving chart and I don't think it is going to be enough cake for them...luckily they ordered cookies too but i'm thinking they are going to be bummed when they see the size of the cake. So I would love to have a chart for party cakes if you don't mind sharing.

agree with the Wilton chart, even me - the cake maker isn't convinced, how do i sell it?

Oh I actually found the charts here on CC icon_biggrin.gif , thanks to lexi55033,
those serving size are much more reasonable to me~ here r the links;
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1300481
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1300479
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1300478

Yuni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yuni Posted 30 May 2009 , 2:43pm
post #35 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexandrabill

Please tell me you are charging more for party cakes then.. since the person is getting more cake from the chart.

I charge the same price for a party cake as I would a wedding cake.. if they want bigger pieces.. they have to order more cake. I'm not giving them bigger pieces because it's a party =)

no... but 1st of all, I am not the cheapest in town. icon_razz.gif What I charge now is enough to cover my cost (wedding or party) n pay myself about as much as my day-job do per hour, or it's not worth my time you know~

well, they are the same price but I charge the "extras" differently, like for party cake, I charge extra for every 3-d figures, flowers, special technic and if they want tiers or stack than it also cost more.etc... and for wedding cakes I do not charge extra for tier or stack cake for under 3 tiers or stack, free of using my cake stands and better deal on ordering group of 12 or more flowers or 3-ds- like a nice lit package deal for wedding cake.

imho, bigger cake serving just means more cake w icing, and cake it's self really don't take much more of my tome or $, I don't mind to just bake a lit more while I am doing it already~ what really cost me are the flowers, special shapes, 3d cakes, extra use of fondant and gum paste.... So as long as that's covered with extra charges than it's all good~ icon_biggrin.gif

the wedding serving chart just isn't realistic for most of us~ No way I would serve a cake that won't be enough for my client's parties~ I want them to actually enjoy a nice piece of my cake and rave about it every where they go~ that's the plan!!~ icon_lol.gif

sweet_teeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_teeth Posted 30 May 2009 , 5:24pm
post #36 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuni

the wedding serving chart just isn't realistic for most of us~ No way I would serve a cake that won't be enough for my client's parties~ I want them to actually enjoy a nice piece of my cake and rave about it every where they go~ that's the plan!!~ icon_lol.gif

I agree. which is why I use Earlene's chart.. but I don't let my bride's get less a serving and party go'ers get. Bride's receive the same size cake a party would...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%