Which Type Of Buttercream Tastes Best

Decorating By imascot Updated 1 Jun 2009 , 7:52pm by imascot

imascot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imascot Posted 28 May 2009 , 8:37pm
post #1 of 14

I'd like to know which type of buttercream tastes best and works well for decorating. I'm seeing American buttercrea, Italian buttercream, Swiss meringue buttercream.... and the list goes on. I don't particularly like the tast of the buttercream I make with crisco and butter. I shudder to think I'm eating crisco! Are the other types of buttercream better? icon_smile.gif

13 replies
__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 28 May 2009 , 8:39pm
post #2 of 14

SMBC is wonderful! Just the right amount of sweetness, no crisco, light fluffy texture! A breeze to make, smooths beautifully...it's delish!

imascot Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 3:46pm
post #3 of 14

Thanks. I'll have to try it. Is there a particular recipe you'd recommend? Can it be used for piping decorations as well as covering the cake?

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 4:10pm
post #4 of 14

Ask 200 people which BC tastes best and you will likely get 200 different answers. lol Some people swear by SugarShack's or Indydebi's, while others will ONLY used meringue. Some are all butter, others all shortening, yet other are a mix of varying ratios. I suggest you try a few different things out and see what you like best icon_smile.gif

My personal opinion: SMBC or IMBC... it doesn't get any better than that!

msladybug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msladybug Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 4:33pm
post #6 of 14

I only use crusting cream cheese icing. It's so good and I always get compliments.

I agree with Tara. I do not like the IMBC or the SMBC. They taste to buttery to me.

crystalina1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crystalina1977 Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 4:34pm
post #7 of 14

personally i like the taste of buttercream dream, using heavy cream instead of milk. of course i haven't tried the other meringue type buttercreams yet =) so i reserve the right to change my opinion!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 6:04pm
post #8 of 14

"best" is subjective. What is 'best' to me could fall into the "you actually eat that crap?" to you.

__Jamie__ Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 6:06pm
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

"best" is subjective. What is 'best' to me could fall into the "you actually eat that crap?" to you.

This is pretty much the truth. icon_biggrin.gif

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 6:15pm
post #10 of 14

It's all crap! I love 'em all though!

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 6:17pm
post #11 of 14

I really like IMBC, I use "classic vanilla buttercream" from the food network site. But, you really should test a few different recipes before deciding. I've made Serious_Cake's buttercream from her youtube video's, too, but that is an American buttercream with shortening. I've only used it a few times, I prefer IMBC, but it's good if you are looking for a PS based buttercream

1of5wives Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1of5wives Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 6:21pm
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalina1977

personally i like the taste of buttercream dream, using heavy cream instead of milk. of course i haven't tried the other meringue type buttercreams yet =) so i reserve the right to change my opinion!

Does anyone have the recipe for "crusting cream cheese icing" I cannot find it anywhere.. it would be much appreciated.

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 6:27pm
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of5wives

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalina1977

Does anyone have the recipe for "crusting cream cheese icing" I cannot find it anywhere.. it would be much appreciated.

Two come up in the Recipe section - it was easier to copy the link ... http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Recipes&sort=recipename&sort_dir=ASC&op=search&chname=X&chingredients=X&searchtext=crusting+cream+cheese&cat_id=-1&x=&y=

imascot Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 7:52pm
post #14 of 14

Thanks for all your replies. I'm going to try the Well dressed cake smbc that Jamie suggested first. I 'll try to get the time to experiment with other versions too and see what I like best. I usually make buttercream dream and it seems to work well for my fbct, but it has crisco in it and that turns me off (even although it tastes good). I've never tried buttercream dream substituting heavy cream for the milk though.... I'll have to give that a go too. Thanks for all the ideas.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%