Tiara For A Baby Shower Cake

Decorating By hedwards41302 Updated 28 May 2009 , 6:11pm by Kiddiekakes

hedwards41302 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hedwards41302 Posted 28 May 2009 , 5:03pm
post #1 of 7

I need to know how to make a tiara for a baby shower cake. Is it better just to buy one or to make one??

6 replies
cakes22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes22 Posted 28 May 2009 , 5:08pm
post #2 of 7

There is a template for one in the galleries section (scroll down to the bottom almost to see the template category). You could size it to fit your cake and make it with Royal Icing.

hth

just curious though, why a tiera on a baby shower cake????

hedwards41302 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hedwards41302 Posted 28 May 2009 , 5:15pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks. I have no idea. She is wanting a pick baby shower cake with a tiara on it. I guess for her princess!LOL But who knows! Have u ever made one? I saw the template and it looked pretty hard! Thanks for the help!!

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 28 May 2009 , 5:19pm
post #4 of 7

It depends on what the customer wants. If they are okay with a store-bought tiara, then do that. I personally don't like putting anything non-edible on a cake if I can make it myself, but that's just me.

Here's how:
1) get a tiara template from the templates gallery and print it out the size you want. There are lots to choose from. I have mine in my photos.

2) Cut out a piece of wax paper slightly larger than the template (about 2" extra around the template.)

3) Tape the template down onto a can, cup, etc. You will want something round in order to achieve the proper shape for the tiara.

4) Next tape the wax paper down over the template. Make sure both pieces are secured well. You don't want the paper moving around on you while you work. Also, make sure that wherever you place tape will be easy to cut or lift off when you get ready to. There's nothing worse than taking the time to make a beautiful tiara, only to realize that you can't get it off the can without tearing it apart! Ttrust me...I speak from personal experience!

5) Make a batch of Royal Icing. You will want the icing thin enough to flow, but not so thin it runs everywhere. To test, I always take a spatula or knife and dip it into the RI, then let it drizzle onto a piece of wax paper. If it drizzles well but doesn't spread out when it hits the paper, you're good to go!

6) Next, load your piping bag using a small tip. I usually use a 3 or 4 depending on the size of my tiara.

7) Finally, pipe over the design directly onto the wax paper. Be very careful not to mess up what you've already piped as you go. If you are left-handed, work right to left and vice versa for right-handed folks.

icon_cool.gif Allow to dry AT LEAST 12 hours before piping the second layer. Yes you should go back over what you've already piped to add stability to your tiara. I learned this the hard way. This is also when you will want to stick any jewels, candy, fondant pearls, etc. onto the tiara while the second layer of RI is still a little wet. Be careful not to smoosh too hard or the RI will squish out and mess up your design. You can go back after the tiara is completely cured if you want to put anything else on, but I find that it requires extra blobs of RI to do this and this has the potential to mess up the design with blobs of RI squishing out everywhere. When complete, allow to dry AT LEAST 24 full hours, best to dry 48 hours if you have the time.

I have found that it is always a good idea to make two or three tiaras. Every time I make them, at least one breaks. It's possible to repair them with a little more RI if the break isn't bad, but you will stress a lot less if you have another tiara right there ready to go.

Yuni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yuni Posted 28 May 2009 , 5:26pm
post #5 of 7

there is a tiara step by step on CC, I followed it and made tiaras w/o any problem! here is the link
http://www.cakecentral.com/article113-How-To-Make-A-Royal-Icing-Tiara.html

crystalina1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crystalina1977 Posted 28 May 2009 , 6:00pm
post #6 of 7

i made one using a template found here and it broke on me. that was RI. the next one i made was out of candy melts. not as pretty but it did not break. i would try it again with a less intricate tiara design, something more sturdy, using RI.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 28 May 2009 , 6:11pm
post #7 of 7

I make mine all the time using white candy melts..I have never had one break yet!! You can also do it at the last minute if you happen to forget like I did once..The candy melts set up in the fridge in about 20 minutes..I also do 2-3 outlines to make it thick and durable.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%