hedwards41302 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hedwards41302 Posted 28 May 2009 , 4:54pm
post #1 of 11

This is the recipe that I used for MMF.

1 16oz tub of Marshmallow fluff
6-8 cups of confectioners sugar
2 tsp of flavoring of your choice
paste colors (Optional)

This was my first time making it and it was ok but when I went to roll it out on my mat with Crisco on it it got very "shiny" and hard to work with. It just didn't look right to me. Any suggestions???? Did I use too much Crisco?? Do I need to put some cornstarch on the mat as well?? I have attached the cake that I made it was cute but you can see the shiny affect and everything kinda drooped.
LL

10 replies
pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 28 May 2009 , 5:01pm
post #2 of 11

i always use marshmellows, didn't know you could use fluff. sorry, I can't help but here is a bump

SJ169 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SJ169 Posted 28 May 2009 , 5:01pm
post #3 of 11

I use a 16oz bag of mini marshmallows when I make MMF, and it always turns out really good. I add the water to the marshmallows and them microwave until it has a soupy look and then take it out and start to add the icing sugar.
Hope that helps! icon_biggrin.gif

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 28 May 2009 , 5:02pm
post #4 of 11

I also use mm not fluff and I've never had problems with the fondant turning out properly. Not my skills with the fondant may be a different story! LOL!

Tracy79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tracy79 Posted 28 May 2009 , 5:07pm
post #5 of 11

Same here...I've never heard of using the fluff. I would definitely try the real thing! I always melt my mm's in the microwave with about 2 tbsp of water. When it's ready I add ps to the bowl and mix with a wood spoon. When it's all incorporated together I dump it on the table and mix in more ps until my mmf is ready. If it's too shiny and droopy I would try and add a little more ps. Good Luck!

lngo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lngo Posted 28 May 2009 , 5:08pm
post #6 of 11

I'm new to fondant too, but I've been reading tons of stuff on CC about the stuff. From my understanding, you canNOT substitute marshmallows with fluff. Apparently the marshmallows are coated in cornstarch (so they don't stick), and this adds the desired texture to fondant.

hedwards41302 Posted 28 May 2009 , 5:13pm
post #7 of 11

Thanks so much. I jsut saw the "fluff" recipe on CC and thought that would be easier but evidently not better! So that is what I will do from now on!! When I make it do I have to refridgerate it? And how long will it last? Any good recipes??

Tracy79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tracy79 Posted 28 May 2009 , 5:19pm
post #8 of 11

http://www.cakejournal.com/archives/how-to-make-marshmallow-fondant

This is where I learned to make mmf! It has definitely worked for me.

bisbqueenb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bisbqueenb Posted 28 May 2009 , 5:21pm
post #9 of 11

I have made it both with the fluff and the marshmallows. I find the fluff comes out whiter...so IF I need really white that is what I will use, otherwise the marshmallows. Besides, the marshmallow version is a bit less expensive and every penny counts! Marshmallows for $1.00/ 16 oz bag vs 2 jars fluff at nearly $2.50-3.00 for a 2 lb powdered sugar recipe!

2girliesmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2girliesmama Posted 28 May 2009 , 5:23pm
post #10 of 11

DO NOT USE FLUFF!!! lol. Fluff has other things added in it.... corn syrup etc. These added ingredients can change the texture and consistency of your fondant. If you find your MMF is a little too shiny dust lightly with powdered sugar. I hope this helps. MMF can be a little tricky, but once you get the right recipe (a simple basic marshmallow, water/crisco, and powdered sugar one) and technique down it is heaven and the possibilities are endless icon_biggrin.gif

hedwards41302 Posted 28 May 2009 , 5:26pm
post #11 of 11

Thank you so much I will most def use this recipe!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%