Wedding Cake For Free??? (Long)

Decorating By mdonna01 Updated 30 May 2009 , 1:41am by blu_canary

moralna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moralna Posted 28 May 2009 , 9:46pm
post #31 of 37

First of all, I know exactly how you feel about not feeling great about your cake. If you look at my post, I was totally upset about having delivered a sub-par product. I think your cake is beautiful!!!! You deserve all of the $75 and much, much more. As everyone has told me, we are our own worst critics. Get your money!!

ladym1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladym1 Posted 28 May 2009 , 10:00pm
post #32 of 37

I just saw your cake and it is absolutely beautiful. You definitely deserve more than $75.00. All they are paying for is materials and not the time you spent decorating or the cost of delivery. Yours is the second post I've seen on this site with bride and groom sob stories about the not having enough money for a cake and wanting a friend who does cake decorating to provide the cake at a discount. If they're that hard up, then they need to buy their own cake mix, make some cupcakes and slap on some canned frosting and call it a day. Bakeries don't give away their work and neither should you. Wedding cakes can be fun to do but it's also very stressful and only another decorator would understand what goes into preparing one not someone who thinks they should be given a "friend" discount. You did a beautiful job and you deserve to get paid.

DebBTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebBTX Posted 28 May 2009 , 10:02pm
post #33 of 37

You did a wonderful job on that cake.

I hope the Bride not only mails you a check for the 75.00, but a lovely thank-you note letting you know how much they appreciate all the work you did. Perhaps they will even write the check for more.

-Debbie B.

emilyhorton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emilyhorton Posted 30 May 2009 , 12:58am
post #34 of 37

Your cake is beautiful. I can't stand reading on here about all of the extremely rude people out there. That cake is gorgeous!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 30 May 2009 , 1:23am
post #35 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebBTX

You did a wonderful job on that cake.

I hope the Bride not only mails you a check for the 75.00, but a lovely thank-you note letting you know how much they appreciate all the work you did. Perhaps they will even write the check for more.

-Debbie B.

Just what I was thinking. thumbs_up.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by momba5

Mimi,
I have had the same problem with fondant dots falling off the fondant. What do you recommend for adhering them securely?

Here you go:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiesbymomme

For future cakes, your dots probably slipped because of the frosting. Fondant to fondant applications only require water( a little dab will do you) or gum paste glue(take gumpaste and let it sit in a bit of water- becomes tacky and great "glue".

HTH

k-loveevents Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
k-loveevents Posted 30 May 2009 , 1:31am
post #36 of 37

I did the same thing for my wedding cake. A fried baked it for me as a favor. On my wedding day they dropped my cake and spent 2 hours scooping up the pieces and trying to form it back into something that looked like a cake. It was supposed to be covered in fondant, but the fondant was destroyed. They had to re-ice the entire thing with white buttercream they whipped up last minute. It looked nothing like what I was expecting. It barely feed all my guests. But it was delicous (as I'm sure your's was) and no one else noticed! Brides are critical of everything on their wedding day because they want it to be perfect. She probably looks back at pictures of the cake and kicks herself for being grumpy about it. The cake is beautiful. If you feel so bad about her not being satisfied then you should offer a discount or something. But I think they should pay you for the cake with a smile on their face. They new what they were getting into when they started. $75.00 is a steal, and I bet everyone at the reception was googling at how beautiful it was! You should be proud of your gorgeous cake and the patience to put up with Brides on their wedding day!

blu_canary Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blu_canary Posted 30 May 2009 , 1:41am
post #37 of 37

Let's just start this by saying since I started decorating, I have become super-critical of cakes. Of mine, and everyone else's. Now, let's move on to the fact that I would have been happy to have your cake at my wedding.

Honestly, if I thought it was bad...and all these people were telling you not to worry, it was fine, and it really was bad in my opinion? I either wouldn't post or if I thought I could help in some way, I would PM you.

That being said? If the bride should ever say something awful about the cake while someone is looking at her pictures, they are going to think she is completely INSANE.

The cake is lovely and your friend should tip you heavily not only for the cake, but having to deal with his bridezilla. I really hope you are feeling better about the cake, because it is gorgeous.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%