Ideas For Edible "domes" Helllp!!

Decorating By noosie Updated 27 May 2009 , 4:16pm by bebea

noosie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noosie Posted 27 May 2009 , 1:57pm
post #1 of 5

I'm making Aladdin's castle and have to make about 8 or so gold domes. I would like to make them out of something edible but it has to be really smooth at the same time. I'll be making the columns out of RKT and did not want to just put blob of fondant for the domes.

Any suggestions???? Also, what's the best way to get a nice consistency when using Gold dust to paint on fondant. I usually mix with vodka but it turns pasty rather quickly. Anyone know a good ratio of dust/vodka???

Many thanks!!!
icon_smile.gif
LL

4 replies
G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 27 May 2009 , 2:03pm
post #2 of 5

Free bump and can wait to see the finished cake icon_smile.gif

underthesun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
underthesun Posted 27 May 2009 , 3:12pm
post #3 of 5

No idea on the domes. Maybe half the dome could be edible. Here is a tutorial from sugarshack making a cherry cake where she uses half styro and half cake. You'll need to scroll all the way down the page.

I also took a class recently where they recommended lemon extract (check the ingredients - should show 99% alcohol) over vodka since the higher alcohol level evaporates quicker. Everclear is also better - more alcohol. The more extract you use the less color thickness. Practice first. One of the other students used a higher amount of luster dust than extract to paint a giant wedding ring and it turned out really nice!

Good luck! Can't wait to see how it turns out and how you make your dome.
[url]sugaredblog.blogspot.com/2009/04/story-of-cherry-hog.html[/url]

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 27 May 2009 , 3:55pm
post #4 of 5

id think rkt too, coated in chocolate it would be nice and solid and smooth, bc would work too.
chocolate eggs? even do them in white chocolate, if you could paint it with lustre dust you wouldnt even need the fondant.
xx

bebea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bebea Posted 27 May 2009 , 4:16pm
post #5 of 5

the first thing i thought of was hollow molded candy. like easter eggs or whatever.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%