Just A Little More Interesting Than Yellow Cake?

Decorating By ziggytarheel Updated 1 Jun 2009 , 1:57pm by ziggytarheel

ziggytarheel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ziggytarheel Posted 27 May 2009 , 11:49am
post #1 of 31

I'm making a graduation cake for my niece. Her request was something like....I want chocolate, but not chocolate cake and frosting. Maybe yellow cake with some really good chocolate frosting. From talking to her mom, the idea of an over the top chocolate filling seems to fit the bill and the cake flavor is up for grabs, as long as it isn't just chocolate on chocolate.

I'm considering doing a nutella type filling with Heath Bar pieces or a fudgey filling with oreo or something along those lines. However, I would like to do something a tad more interesting than yellow cake. Any ideas? Due to allergies, I won't be able to taste what I make. I enjoy scratch baking, but for several reasons, I would probably prefer beginning with a box mix for this cake.

I spent way too long online last night, looking for inspiration. I thought I would just cut to the chase today and pick your brains. icon_smile.gif

Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions?

I appreciate it!!

30 replies
bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 27 May 2009 , 11:56am
post #2 of 31

Go to the gourmet flavors thread Macs Mom has an amazing list of flavors...I hope cc will let me post the link
http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=df4f9hbq_46cs9f28fs

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 27 May 2009 , 12:05pm
post #3 of 31

im going to do a chocolate cake for a friend, with a round of rocky road in the middle as filling - similar idea to the cookie in the middle. actually, you could just put a cookie in it!
no real suggestions on the actual cake. maybe chocolate mud cake? or put smarties/ m&m through the mix?
xx

veronica970206 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veronica970206 Posted 27 May 2009 , 12:06pm
post #4 of 31

Oh my gosh the list is HUGE!!! Does anyone have a favorite from this list that they have tried? They all sound FABULOUS!!!!!!

Sincerely,
Veronica

ziggytarheel Posted 27 May 2009 , 12:16pm
post #5 of 31

I went through the gourmet flavors list last night and saw some really great recipes. But for whatever reason, I still couldn't figure out a non-chocolate cake that would be recommended for a chocolate filling like I'm considering. I was hoping for a WASC variation, but at least what I noticed were flavors that didn't seem to suit chocolate or were to die for chocolate cakes, which is not what I need right now.

If I missed something, please let me know! I appreciate all of your suggestions.

sweet_teeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_teeth Posted 27 May 2009 , 12:26pm
post #6 of 31

How about almond cake w/ chocolate filling? Like an almond joy?

Or peanut butter cake w/ chocolate filling and reeces mixed into it?

Cookies n cream cake w/ chocolate filling... or chocolate cake w/ cookies n cream filling

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 27 May 2009 , 12:59pm
post #7 of 31

Ohh I love the idea of cookies and cream, is that on the gourmet list...I'll have to check. You could do WASC but use all vanilla so call it vanilla cream cake , have a chocolate shortbread/sugar cookie layer, then the cookies and cream filling. Yummy.

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 27 May 2009 , 1:03pm
post #8 of 31

Orange cake with choc filling? Jaffa flavoured!

Do you have Jaffas in the US? icon_confused.gif

Melnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melnick Posted 27 May 2009 , 1:08pm
post #9 of 31

Check out this link: http://www.cakesandmore.org/blog/2008/09/chocolate-mud-cake-with-ferrero-rocher-filling/ It has a Ferrero Rocher filling which I think sounds devine!!!

sweet_teeth Posted 27 May 2009 , 1:10pm
post #10 of 31

Jaffas.. yum! I don't think we do but I know what they are.

I'd call orange and chocolate a valencia flavor.. yum yum yum!

Regarding the cookies and cream... you could just throw in chopped up oreo's into the batter of your usual doctored cake mix (or plain for that matter).. and use oreos n cream pudding in it too. I'd start w/ a white cake.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 27 May 2009 , 1:13pm
post #11 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggytarheel

I'm considering doing a nutella type filling with Heath Bar pieces
Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions?

I appreciate it!!

Ziggy, my 2 cents would be to caution you with the Nutella combo ideas. Nutella is already a hazelnut base, so you have to be careful about what you combine that with --I really think it stands on its own and does not need additions. As to something other than just plain 'ole yellow... a butter cake would be a good alternative.

Have fun!

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 27 May 2009 , 1:13pm
post #12 of 31

How about a strawberry cake w/ chocolate filling?

ziggytarheel Posted 28 May 2009 , 12:07pm
post #13 of 31

Thanks for all the great ideas! I have a question:

[quote="alexandrabill
Regarding the cookies and cream... you could just throw in chopped up oreo's into the batter of your usual doctored cake mix (or plain for that matter).. and use oreos n cream pudding in it too. I'd start w/ a white cake.[/quote]

Have you (or anyone else) tried oreos in the batter?

sweet_teeth Posted 28 May 2009 , 5:56pm
post #14 of 31

Yup! I've done it tons of times. When torting it.. it either must be pretty chilled, or you need to make sure they are very finely ground icon_smile.gif If not.. they can cause tears due to the chunks.

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 28 May 2009 , 6:08pm
post #15 of 31

I've done oreos in the batter too, just gave mine a really good crush with a rolling pin and I didn't have any trouble leveling.

Orange valencia would be delicious, so would peanutbutter chocolate or strawberry chocolate. My thought was maybe a white chocolate cake? It's hard to get a strong white chocolate taste in a cake, but you can get a nice subtle flavor if you add white chocolate pudding and some melted white choc. to your batter.

ziggytarheel Posted 28 May 2009 , 8:00pm
post #16 of 31

I'm a big fan of cookies 'n cream ice cream and I've made a cookies 'n cream filling that was a big hit. I'm just trying to imagine what crushed oreos taste like in a white cake. Having trouble imagining the texture, etc. And, since I can't taste it, due to allergies, my imagination and the comments of others is all I have to go on.

Do you think this is a delicious cake when you've made it?

I'm also seriously considering trying white chocolate with some sort of decadent filling. Hmmm.

Thanks again for all of your input.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 28 May 2009 , 8:21pm
post #17 of 31

Ziggy - I think cookies and cream cake sounds delicious!

What are you allergic to?

ziggytarheel Posted 28 May 2009 , 8:45pm
post #18 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by cylstrial

Ziggy - I think cookies and cream cake sounds delicious!

What are you allergic to?

Eggs. icon_sad.gif I do make a few eggless cakes. And, we've tried ener-G, and we all thought it had a bad after taste and 3 of us found ourselves with a stomach problem shortly after eating it....so that is a problem too.

Thanks for your vote on the cake!

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 28 May 2009 , 10:36pm
post #19 of 31

ziggytarheel, my niece's husband is allergic to eggs and her son is allergic to milk. She loves to bake and has found ways around both allergies - but not necessarily both at the same time. I would be happy to see what she uses in place of eggs if you would like me to.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 28 May 2009 , 10:44pm
post #20 of 31

I like the cookies & cream idea.

All the while reading this I'm thinking coconut cake with banana filling dusted with cinnamon and chocolate frosting.

cupcakesnbuttercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 28 May 2009 , 10:54pm
post #21 of 31

I absolutely LOVE the White Russian recipe!!!! It's probably my favorite! You can find it on macsmom's list or the google document some have posted. You can try that with the cookie filling, i bet that would be tasty.

grammynan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grammynan Posted 28 May 2009 , 10:56pm
post #22 of 31

Start with a butter recipe cake mix, make with real butter. Add 8 oz. of sour cream. Reduce water to 1/2 a cup and add 16 broken up oreos. Yummy!!

zoomzone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoomzone Posted 29 May 2009 , 3:02am
post #23 of 31

banana?

almond?

Coconut?

Cheesecake flavored?

Italian Cream?

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 29 May 2009 , 11:44am
post #24 of 31

There is a lady on here who makes lots of vegan recipes. If I think of her name, I'll PM you with it. She only makes vegan cakes and says they are delicious for people who are even non-vegan. So maybe you could get a hold of some of her recipes. =o)

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 29 May 2009 , 12:01pm
post #25 of 31

Hey! What is wrong with plain old yellow cake and Nutella filling and a good chocolate butter cream frosting? That's what the girl asked for. Everything mentioned sounds fine, but... I happen to really like a golden vanilla cake. So the suggestions of more 'adventurous' flavors don't sound like an improvement to me.

ziggytarheel Posted 29 May 2009 , 1:15pm
post #26 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narie

Hey! What is wrong with plain old yellow cake and Nutella filling and a good chocolate butter cream frosting? That's what the girl asked for. Everything mentioned sounds fine, but... I happen to really like a golden vanilla cake. So the suggestions of more 'adventurous' flavors don't sound like an improvement to me.

You are right about some of the great suggestions sounding a little more adventurous than I need to be here. The graduate didn't really specify what she wanted, just that she did want some chocolate, but not all chocolate, and gave the example of yellow cake with chocolate frosting.

That's why I titled this a LITTLE more interesting than yellow cake! icon_smile.gif I have surely enjoyed and appreciated all the suggestions and plan to try many of them for other occasions. Still working on figuring out exactly what I'm doing here. icon_smile.gif Pondering all of these great ideas!

-K8memphis Posted 29 May 2009 , 1:26pm
post #27 of 31

Ok how about making pastry cream filling--make like a Boston cream pie--y'know but it's a cake--yellow cake and cream filling and chocolate or ganache or both icing. Mmmm--That fresh made vanilla rich pastry cream with the soft moist yellow cake--you can't beat Boston cream pie!

I used to make 'em as a kid & my husband made me one for a birthday recently.

But you can make it as a decorated cake too--it doesn't have to be like a traditional Bcp.

-K8memphis Posted 29 May 2009 , 1:39pm
post #28 of 31

So I got to thinking how did Boston Cream Pie get it's name so fwiw--here yah go if anyone is interested.

http://whatscookingamerica.net/History/Cakes/BostonCreamPie.htm
(History of Boston Cream Pie with recipe.)

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 29 May 2009 , 1:40pm
post #29 of 31

.......coconut cake with banana filling dusted with cinnamon and chocolate frosting......

Now this does indeed sound good. Except for one thing.......I couldn't eat it (due to being allergic to coconut).

I remember many years ago....like 25?......a customer ordering a cake yellow w/choco icing because the local bakery refused to do it! They just didn't do anything but what was on their list and that wasn't.

-K8memphis Posted 29 May 2009 , 2:10pm
post #30 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

.......coconut cake with banana filling dusted with cinnamon and chocolate frosting......

Now this does indeed sound good. Except for one thing.......I couldn't eat it (due to being allergic to coconut).

I remember many years ago....like 25?......a customer ordering a cake yellow w/choco icing because the local bakery refused to do it! They just didn't do anything but what was on their list and that wasn't.

Wow what a rigid menu huh.

That'd be good with pineapple, butter pecan or white chocolate cake-- a light spice cake would be killer!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%