Never Using Bc Again Under Fondant

Decorating By MikeRowesHunny Updated 28 Aug 2016 , 4:27pm by yortma

calicopurr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calicopurr Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 5:14am
post #451 of 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melnick

This the mud cake I have tasted and it was soooooo good! http://www.cakesandmore.org/blog/2008/09/chocolate-mud-cake-with-ferrero-rocher-filling/ . I want to try that Ferrero Rochere filling sometime soon too!

The website for the mud cake is down. Can you post the recipe please?

fairmaiden0101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fairmaiden0101 Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 5:40am
post #452 of 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoser24

I had an idea...has anyone ever used ganache around the sides only, like an extra external dam to help stop buldges or leakage? That is if ganache is not wanted as the main icing.
I'm thinking that I have a cake due this weekend, customer doesn't want too sweet, so i'm going with SMBC. She wants a strawberry filling with whipped icing. I made the filling from scratch, and dont want it to ooze out. I might try some white chocolate ganache around the outside filling line only, let set and then cover with SMBC. Just a thought, ganache does get expensive, but I loveee the results.

I actually do this all of the time. If I put in a heavy filling and dont want to leave it out to set so that the extra filling will run out, I just put a coat of ganache around the cut edges and presto- I have never had a heavily filled cake buldge out yet!

Sweet_Toof Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Toof Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 3:28am
post #453 of 507

I would have thought that the fondant could go straight over the ganache
Do I really have to put something sticky on the ganache, and then the fondant or can I skip this step?
Thanks guys icon_smile.gif

debbief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbief Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 3:00pm
post #454 of 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet_Toof

Do I really have to put something sticky on the ganache, and then the fondant or can I skip this step?

Depends on how long you wait before you cover with fondant. The ganache will firm up and feel dry to the touch pretty quick and then the fondant won't stick very well. You can just lightly mist the cake with water (or brush some on) and that should be enough to get it to stick.

bakincakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakincakin Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 3:23pm
post #455 of 507

I'm intrigued. Can't wait to try this. BC is too sweet!

Sweet_Toof Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Toof Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 8:46pm
post #456 of 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbief

Quote:

Depends on how long you wait before you cover with fondant. The ganache will firm up and feel dry to the touch pretty quick and then the fondant won't stick very well. You can just lightly mist the cake with water (or brush some on) and that should be enough to get it to stick.

so, you would ganache the cake and mist that before fondant if too dry?

debbief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbief Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 8:51pm
post #457 of 507
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbief

Quote:

so, you would ganache the cake and mist that before fondant if too dry?

Exactly thumbs_up.gif

lutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lutie Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 3:56am
post #458 of 507

[quote="calicopurr"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melnick

This the mud cake I have tasted and it was soooooo good! http://www.cakesandmore.org/blog/2008/09/chocolate-mud-cake-with-ferrero-rocher-filling/ . I want to try that Ferrero Rochere filling sometime soon too!

The website for the mud cake is down. Can you post the recipe please?[/quote

I found that the website was down, also, but "Googled" the recipe and found it on many, many sites. This candy bar is not familiar to me, but since Cadbury makes it, I suspect it will be available around Valentine's Day! It is on some major ordering sites, but very expensive!

ghazal86 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ghazal86 Posted 6 May 2012 , 2:24pm
post #459 of 507

hello
i want to cover my birthday cake with just blue ganache and then decorate it with royal icing. how can make my white ganache and how can i colorize it?

lutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lutie Posted 7 May 2012 , 12:24am
post #460 of 507

I would color the cream before putting in the chocolate...

KMKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KMKakes Posted 29 May 2012 , 2:34pm
post #461 of 507

Is there a way to achieve the same results for those who can not eat chocolate?

liverpoolcupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liverpoolcupcake Posted 3 Jun 2012 , 3:57pm
post #462 of 507

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE TIP IN USING GANACHE INSTEAD OF BUTTERCREAM .I TOO HAVE HAD A PROBLEM WITH BULGING .NOW IM ADOPTING THAT METHOD TOO.

hobbycakes52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hobbycakes52 Posted 3 Jun 2012 , 5:56pm
post #463 of 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMKakes

Is there a way to achieve the same results for those who can not eat chocolate?

white chocolate is not like chocolate made from cocoa beans. There's no 'chocolate' in it.

PeggyMichel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PeggyMichel Posted 25 Jun 2012 , 2:17am
post #464 of 507

I''m sorry if this question has been asked and answered, but do you have to let your cakes settle when covering with ganache, or can you skip the settling step?

CupcakeQT82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupcakeQT82 Posted 27 Jun 2012 , 2:59pm
post #465 of 507

marking for future reference . . . .

PinKC27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinKC27 Posted 13 Jan 2013 , 7:30pm
post #466 of 507

The past 2 fondant cakes I've made I've noticed everyone only ate some of the fondant for it's to sweet with the buttercream. I found a ganche recipe on here that uses bittersweet chocolate would that be okay for an entire cake?

Can someone post the exact recipe you guys have used and it didn't turn out to stiff??

I'm making a ninja turtle cake this weekend for 45 people (i guess technically 3D) and want it to be perfect to I'm know debating between ganache and buttercream for this cake. Originally i was going to fill my marble cake with ganache crumb coat with vanilla buttercream and cover with fondant.

Really appreciate the help I looked through 5 to 7 pages but theres so many I could find it here. Thanks!!

hamtrina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hamtrina Posted 12 Feb 2013 , 2:04pm
post #467 of 507

Hello, I know this is alittle late as your post was in 09, and this is truly a dumb question but after you melt the chocolate where do you let it sit? won't it get rock hard? I just covered a cake in fondant using satin ice yesterday and it was a disaster! Bumpy, floppy, just a mess. Granted it's only my 2nd time ever covering a cake. I was so stressed out, I had to tear it all off reroll more fondant and go again. The 2nd go round wasnt so bad although I covered all the discrepancies with more fondant decorations but still I want to get this down.

Thanks for any help :)

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 12 Feb 2013 , 2:58pm
post #468 of 507
sweetheart1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetheart1978 Posted 13 Feb 2013 , 7:09am
post #469 of 507

MikeRowseHunny did you mix the melted choc and cream and then leave in the fridge overnight to set before spreading onto the cake?

I love this idea coz i was going to originally use buttercream under the fondant but this sounds so much better, and since i've never made ganache i'm really looking forward to making it

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 13 Feb 2013 , 7:33am
post #470 of 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetheart1978 

MikeRowseHunny did you mix the melted choc and cream and then leave in the fridge overnight to set before spreading onto the cake?

I love this idea coz i was going to originally use buttercream under the fondant but this sounds so much better, and since i've never made ganache i'm really looking forward to making it

Then it would serve you well to follow the links provided by imagenthatnj in the post right before yours.

sweetheart1978 Posted 13 Feb 2013 , 7:42am
post #471 of 507

Can Milk Choc be used for making ganache?

hamtrina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hamtrina Posted 13 Feb 2013 , 1:44pm
post #472 of 507

Great, thank you so much :)

sweetheart1978 Posted 13 Feb 2013 , 1:54pm
post #473 of 507

Thanx vgcea, didn't see tht

bnbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bnbmom Posted 5 Mar 2013 , 6:43pm
post #474 of 507

AAwesome thread!

Had a question...has anyone tried this with ganache made with only liquid coffee creamer?

Did it set up well?

I cannot use cream with cottage food law, So can i replace cream with coffee creamer?

Natalies Pantry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Natalies Pantry Posted 5 Mar 2013 , 8:24pm
post #475 of 507

Sweetheart 1978 yes milk choc can be used in ganache. The other day I mixed milk choc & white & it came out a beautiful caramel flavour.

sweetheart1978 Posted 22 Mar 2013 , 9:48pm
post #476 of 507

I decided to make a cake with ganache under the fondant. I also used ganache as the filling between slices, but for some reason when the cake was cut the ganache and cake separated!! is there something i can do to keep the ganache sticking to the cake or am i doing something wrong? i used the 3:1 ratio using milk choc for the ganache. Would love some advice please xx

soldiernurse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soldiernurse Posted 3 Apr 2013 , 8:56am
post #477 of 507

A

Original message sent by MikeRowesHunny

Yep, I used a mini wondermold cake - it was perfect!

What is a mini wondermold cake and what is it used for? I can get the Planet Cake book from Amazon or Ebay right?

soldiernurse Posted 3 Apr 2013 , 10:50am
post #478 of 507

AHow much genache do I need separately for a 10 in, an 8 in and a 6 in round? Is their a formula?

soldiernurse Posted 3 Apr 2013 , 10:55am
post #479 of 507

A"there"..not their...sorry....trying to rush to work!

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 3 Apr 2013 , 11:01am
post #480 of 507

Soldiernurse, the artandappetite link above for the tutorial on ganache has the answer to that question. Rylan answered the exact same question for someone else. 

"No problem Lily.
Sandra, 4 pounds of semi sweet chocolate with 2 pounds of cream can cover a 10″, 8″ and 6″ cakes (all 4 inches tall). I would usually have some left overs but it all depends on how thick you apply it (I apply mines between 1/4″-1/2″ thick.)"

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%