Liquid Egg White

Decorating By Mrsnoodle Updated 26 May 2009 , 8:01pm by BakingJeannie

Mrsnoodle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mrsnoodle Posted 26 May 2009 , 2:39pm
post #1 of 7

When I lived in Canada I used to buy cartons of liquid egg white all the time to use for making meringues or light sponge cakes. Since moving to the US I have bought it a couple of times to try making meringue buttercream and have not been able to beat it into a froth. Then I read on one carton that because of pasteurizing, the egg white will not be suitable for whipping.

Can I buy egg white that will beat up here and can you recommend a brand? I live in Philadelphia.

I try to keep my cooking as healthy as possible (apart from the lbs of butter and icing sugar of course) so I have no use for left over egg yolks.

6 replies
CakeandDazzle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeandDazzle Posted 26 May 2009 , 2:43pm
post #2 of 7

Oh I would like to know too... I make SMBC and my white cake calls for 6 egg whites... after a week of baking I have more egg yolks the a... a... IDK what but alot!! lol

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 26 May 2009 , 2:44pm
post #3 of 7

Bump..I want to know too!
Edna icon_smile.gif

BakingJeannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingJeannie Posted 26 May 2009 , 2:46pm
post #4 of 7

Hi!
I found that heating the liquid egg whites too long won't get the froth going. You may try the Gordons Food Service (GFS) brand. That's the brand I used in baking school. You may Google for Gordons Food Service to find one close to you. I'm in Florida.
Hope this helps.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 26 May 2009 , 3:13pm
post #5 of 7

I've yet to find a brand of egg whites in the carton that whips up anywhere near as good as fresh whites... as you stated, the pasteurization is what affects this. I still crack all of my eggs for meringues (for buttercream and otherwise) and I use the yolks for creme brulee and other custards.

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 26 May 2009 , 3:22pm
post #6 of 7

Hello,

I have used Break-Free (Kroger Brand) and All-White brand (I think made by the people who make Egg Beaters).

I've only made about two batches of IMBC with actual eggs, and probably 35 with cartoned egg whites. I had a problem with seperation once, but I had also added some chocolate and I think the brand I used may have had something to do with it.

The Kroger Brand has never given me a problem. I do add some cream of tartar.

Apart from not needing the egg yolks, I don't like breaking eggs. It's a convenience thing for me.

By the way, I have also used powdered egg whites without a problem. I've used Wilton Color Flow too.

BakingJeannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingJeannie Posted 26 May 2009 , 8:01pm
post #7 of 7

I too, dislike breaking eggs. Since high school, I have not made many sponge cake or chiffon cakes. I realize, not heat egg whites for too long will give you a better fluff.

I have never seen a Kroger in South Florida, so I'm an not familar with it. Egg Beaters and All Whites works well for me.

Thank for sharing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%