Help With Convection Baking

Baking By sweetkake Updated 29 May 2009 , 12:15am by Jayde

sweetkake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetkake Posted 26 May 2009 , 12:14am
post #1 of 4

I use a commercial convection oven and dryness is a problem. I have put in a pan of water, turn the heat down to 325. I have identified the hot spots and avoid them. Are there any hints or precautions I can take. Help! I posted this earlier under a search for moist recipes post, no response. I hope there are some other commercial convection bakers out there. I use my recipe in the conventional oven and everything works fine, but it's not as big and takes a lot longer. Any help is much appreciated.

3 replies
sweetkake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetkake Posted 27 May 2009 , 11:08pm
post #2 of 4

Hello everyone. Still hoping to hear from any one baking in a convection oven. I was hoping by bringing it back up the earlier part of the week we might all be less busy than the weekend. Please help. TIA

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 27 May 2009 , 11:41pm
post #3 of 4

I bake in a commercial oven, gas power. I bake at 300 with the fan on low. Thats what works in the ovens we use, of course every oven is different and you may have to drop the temp down to 275.

The lower fan speed will help keep your cakes from drying out so fast.

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 29 May 2009 , 12:15am
post #4 of 4

Mine is convection, and I bake at 300-325, but I am constantly checking mine. I never give out baking times, because the same cake can take 40 minutes one day and 25 the next. After 20 minutes I check every 5 minutes.

Obviously if the cake wobbles, its not done, but you should remove the cake just slightly underdone, because it will continue to cook even after you remove it from the oven.

A good simple syrup brushed over your cake will help with dryness as well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%