Can You Do Ths With Edible Images???

Decorating By ranbel Updated 27 May 2009 , 12:49am by fosterscreations

ranbel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ranbel Posted 25 May 2009 , 8:27pm
post #1 of 13

Can you trace/fill in an edible image? I have my granddaughters 1st bday coming up soon, and my stepdaughter wants Dora.. Instead of doing a fbct, I thought it might be easier to fill in an edible image, just so it doen't have that edible image look.

What's your thought and have you done it?

12 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 25 May 2009 , 11:28pm
post #2 of 13

In a word.......NO. They cannot be changed in any way, shape or form.
You can make your own picture by placing a frosting sheet or wafer paper sheet over the picture you want and color it in w/non-toxic, felt-tip pens or food writers.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 25 May 2009 , 11:39pm
post #3 of 13

i think she is saying... she doesn,t like the edible image look... so, i think..she needs to do the fbct... or the chocolate transfer.. maybe, i,m not understanding. her..but i think i do... to me, kakeladi.. what you are telling her to do.. i think would look like an edible image .. correct me , if i am wrong..

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 25 May 2009 , 11:47pm
post #4 of 13

I think she's asking, can she put the edible image on the cake and then pipe and fill over it--which I don't see why she couldn't do.

topaz176 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
topaz176 Posted 25 May 2009 , 11:48pm
post #5 of 13

Maybe you can do the "pin prick" method.
I did a few that way.

cas17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cas17 Posted 25 May 2009 , 11:57pm
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by varika

I think she's asking, can she put the edible image on the cake and then pipe and fill over it--which I don't see why she couldn't do.

i agree.

renee2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
renee2007 Posted 25 May 2009 , 11:57pm
post #7 of 13

I have done that before. I took an edible image and placed it on the cake and then outlined and star-tipped over the image. I did it that way because it had a lot of detail and I didn't think I could transfer it the gel way. It worked fine. hope that helps

tripleD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripleD Posted 26 May 2009 , 12:03am
post #8 of 13

sure you can make an edible image lay it on a cake and pipe over it.
I have used a coloring page and printed it on icing sheets layed it on the cake and icinged it in. sometimes when I have a full blown migraine I have tried crazy things to get cakes done. I even use the icing sheets on scrapbooking punches to make a lace border.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 26 May 2009 , 12:09am
post #9 of 13

Yes you can do it.. I have..You can pipe on top and star on top of it. Works great!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

maisyone2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maisyone2 Posted 26 May 2009 , 12:19am
post #10 of 13

I would like to suggest doing a piping gel pattern transfer. If you are unfamiliar with this, then I'll explain.

Place a piece of wax paper over the picture you want. Then put 3-4 Tbsp of piping gel into a pastry bag. If you are using disposable or parchment bags, then you don't need a tip, just cut a very small hole (about the size of a tip 2 or 3). Then trace your image with your piping gel.

After you have traced your image (small details are best not traced, you can add those in as you decorate), the you pick it up and turn it over and place it over your cake in the place you want to put it. Then you place it right on the cake and run your finger over the piping gel lines transferring your pattern onto your cake.

VERY IMPORTANT-----the image you have just made and transferred is a mirror image. If you need it to be exactly the way it is on the printed page, then you have to create a mirror image print.

Also...when you are tracing your pattern, you don't want the lines to be too heavy, but you need them to be substantial enough to show up on the cake. It also helps if your cake frosting has crusted.

Now you can fill in this pattern however you want.

HTH
Gayle
SE MI

ranbel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ranbel Posted 26 May 2009 , 11:28am
post #11 of 13

Thanks to all. Renee2007, that is exactly what I was talking about. I apologize if my question wasn't clear. I am wanting the image to stand up a bit, not so flat as a image sheet.

renee2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
renee2007 Posted 26 May 2009 , 1:24pm
post #12 of 13

ranbel, it will work fine and look great!! thumbs_up.gif

fosterscreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fosterscreations Posted 27 May 2009 , 12:49am
post #13 of 13

You can as long as you have printed the image yourself but if you buy a licensed edible image to put on the cake then no you can't altar it in any way.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%