Question: Cake Decorator Doesn't Bake Her Own Cakes?

Decorating By slopokesgirl Updated 28 May 2009 , 6:43pm by JanH

sweetiesbykim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 28 May 2009 , 12:56am
post #152 of 190

You know what? I really don't care what you or anyone else in here makes, and yes, I admit, I believe it takes much more skill to pull off a scratch cake...and how is that demeaning or insulting? It is what it is...FACT!

And I fully support FromScratch's tagline of if ain't scratched, fix it! Does that personally offend you? How thin skinned.

__Jamie__ Posted 28 May 2009 , 12:59am
post #153 of 190

And by supporting FromScratch's tagline, what I mean is I support her writing whatever the heck she wants, just like whatever the heck anyone wants to put in theirs is not something that will rile me up!

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 28 May 2009 , 1:08am
post #154 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

You know what? I really don't care what you or anyone else in here makes, and yes, I admit, I believe it takes much more skill to pull off a scratch cake...and how is that demeaning or insulting? It is what it is...FACT!

And I fully support FromScratch's tagline of if ain't scratched, fix it! Does that personally offend you? How thin skinned.

Hello,

What should I fix? That's what I want to know. Does that make me thin-skinned? I apologize. I am sorry Jaime.

My husband...and my family liked it from mix. What should I fix?

__Jamie__ Posted 28 May 2009 , 1:16am
post #155 of 190

Wow...am I being punked? Ashton? Where are you??

I didn't tell you to fix anything. Neither did anyone else. If you want to read into someones tagline as a direct assault at you....I can't help it.

3GCakes Posted 28 May 2009 , 1:22am
post #156 of 190
Quote:

Wow...am I being punked? Ashton? Where are you??

I didn't tell you to fix anything. Neither did anyone else. If you want to read into someones tagline as a direct assault at you....I can't help it.

I'm sorry. I thought you said you agreed with it. And that meant I needed to fix something. I apologize. I thought you said: You fully support: "If it ain't scratched, please fix it?????"

Doesn't that mean you support by your definition of scratch....I need to fix something...or I am doing something wrong???

There's no punking. I just want to know what you mean.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 28 May 2009 , 1:25am
post #157 of 190

[quote="Cakemom777"]
Also, to Dkelly, who is obviously fed up with us who think there is a stigma...but you can see no implied stigma from scratch bakers....maybe you can look at a post like this and see where this whole debate comes from. Maybe you are just sick of the debate...and I can feel your pain. It is old. But it will continue until either Webster changes the definition of "from scratch" or the laws are changed to make sure what we can call "From scratch". I am sorry that it angers you that some people are really...in reality...as in real life...looked down on. Their ingredients, and their methods....because of an additional ingredient. If the addition or omission of that additional ingredient makes it less or more worthy of pride no matter what the outcome....then the fight will continue./quote]

You're right I am fed up with this *debate*, ya know what I'm most fed up with? The people who are trying to change the definition of baking from scratch.

For thousands of years woman have baked cakes, breads, cookies etc., with ingredients that they have in their pantries........eggs, flour, sugar, milk, etc.

Now a few people on here want to take something that started out so simple and turn it into a huge farce.

Everyone on this site knows the meaning of scratch baking, it's too bad a few are trying to *brainwash* us with their distorted thoughts.

Personally I'm sick and tired of having to defend my preference for being a scratch only baker. I've been told that unless I raise my own chickens for eggs, and milk my own cows, and grow my own wheat that my products are NOT in fact "from scratch".

Maybe I'm TIRED of being "looked down on" by all of the mix bakers here. Did you ever think of it that way?

__Jamie__ Posted 28 May 2009 , 1:27am
post #158 of 190

And did you notice, I make WASC every once in awhile...so, ummm, I am not a box mix hater.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 28 May 2009 , 1:32am
post #159 of 190

Y'know what, Indy, from a marketing standpoint if someone says they're all scratch --that's a good tagline. I think it perpetuates the myth but to each their own. Because baking "from scratch" is the perceived gold standard of baking. (But apparently not if you add stabilizer <insert rolling eyes smilie face> but I digress)

If someone says they bake from a mix it's not a good marketing concept at all, it is a negative. "Well they don't bake from scratch but I tasted their cake and it was great. It was good but it's a mix." There's a put down even though they get their due for a good cake.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So all that to say from a marketing sense if I am dead on asked if I use mixes or scratch I use my own judgement as to how I answer. Sometimes I would say yes and explain the theory and sometimes I don't give a direct answer if I feel it's to my advantage not to. I sure as shootin' will not voluntarily open Pandora's box--no thank you.

__Jamie__ Posted 28 May 2009 , 1:34am
post #160 of 190
Quote:

And by supporting FromScratch's tagline, what I mean is I support her writing whatever the heck she wants, just like whatever the heck anyone wants to put in theirs is not something that will rile me up!

icon_smile.gif

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 28 May 2009 , 1:39am
post #161 of 190

The thing that I find the most interesting in that Twinkie article on snopes is that someone actually took the time to explode a Twinkie in a microwave, then report how long it took. What the heck?? icon_razz.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 28 May 2009 , 1:41am
post #162 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

The thing that I find the most interesting in that Twinkie article on snopes is that someone actually took the time to explode a Twinkie in a microwave, then report how long it took. What the heck?? icon_razz.gif

Ah, they probably got a government grant to study it! icon_lol.gif

chrissypie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrissypie Posted 28 May 2009 , 1:45am
post #163 of 190

Obviously it takes a lot of skill to create a delicious cake from scratch. This is a skill I in no way posess! I have followed recipes from the Cake Bible and they have tasted like, well, tasteless, dry, sawdusty and very expensive hunks of junk. I CANNOT BAKE! I felt jealous of those who could. However, I thought about it for a while and I realized that if you owned a bakery or a cake shop, whatever, the person who decorated the cakes, didn't neccessarily bake them. In other words, their partner, employee, etc, could be the baker. Does that make the decorator less worthy? My love for caking is really the decorating part. Of course I want my cakes to taste great. I think the box mixes give consistant results. Guests in my home who eat my cakes rave about them, I have never felt the need to mention they are boxed cakes because they are not paying me! I may be wrong, but most people do not eat cake for Health Reasons, they have cakes as a means of celebrating. Box Mix vs. Scratch is really just about preference. It does not diminish skill as a decorator in any way shape or form. A scratch bakers cakes could taste great and look sloppy! I do not agree that the box mix stigma comes from box mix bakers. I do think those who can bake feel superior. They are not better decorators neccesarily. So they should ony feel superior in that they can bake! I happen to be a great cook! Can't bake. I am working on becomming a good decorator. People love the cakes I have done. They will love yours too! I agree that BJ's Costo, etc, cakes taste good and a lot of people are used to the taste of them so they will not think twice about it if you use those kinds of cakes. How many parties have you been to with a BJ's cake? I have been to tons and people always say how good the cake is. People are not used to scratch layer cakes anymore. I think things like bundt cakes and crumb cakes, yes, but straight up layer cakes, not so much. I don't know many people these days who make scratch layer cakes, so people don't expect the texture and taste when they do have it! Don't stress it, keep decorating!! Don't let other opinions affect you! If your customers are happy and keep coming, that is all that counts! Do you go out to dinner and ask if anything they make or sell I should say, has emulsifiers, stabilizers or preservatives?!! I know I don't! But then again, I am not a health nut!

Sorry this is long but man, sometimes ya gotta vent!

costumeczar Posted 28 May 2009 , 1:56am
post #164 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Ah, they probably got a government grant to study it! icon_lol.gif

I need to find out where to apply for a grant to study Peeps in the microwave, my kids love to do explode them. Some guys from MIT did a "study" on Peeps once, it was pretty funny. They probably did get a grant to do that!

3GCakes Posted 28 May 2009 , 1:59am
post #165 of 190

One of my kids in my middle-school cake club did a totally exact-on peep in gumpaste. It was hilariously inspiring.

Deb_ Posted 28 May 2009 , 2:01am
post #166 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissypie

Obviously it takes a lot of skill to create a delicious cake from scratch. This is a skill I in no way posess! I have followed recipes from the Cake Bible and they have tasted like, well, tasteless, dry, sawdusty and very expensive hunks of junk. I CANNOT BAKE! I felt jealous of those who could. However, I thought about it for a while and I realized that if you owned a bakery or a cake shop, whatever, the person who decorated the cakes, didn't neccessarily bake them. In other words, their partner, employee, etc, could be the baker. Does that make the decorator less worthy? My love for caking is really the decorating part. Of course I want my cakes to taste great. I think the box mixes give consistant results. Guests in my home who eat my cakes rave about them, I have never felt the need to mention they are boxed cakes because they are not paying me! I may be wrong, but most people do not eat cake for Health Reasons, they have cakes as a means of celebrating. Box Mix vs. Scratch is really just about preference. It does not diminish skill as a decorator in any way shape or form. A scratch bakers cakes could taste great and look sloppy! I do not agree that the box mix stigma comes from box mix bakers. I do think those who can bake feel superior. They are not better decorators neccesarily. So they should ony feel superior in that they can bake! I happen to be a great cook! Can't bake. I am working on becomming a good decorator. People love the cakes I have done. They will love yours too! I agree that BJ's Costo, etc, cakes taste good and a lot of people are used to the taste of them so they will not think twice about it if you use those kinds of cakes. How many parties have you been to with a BJ's cake? I have been to tons and people always say how good the cake is. People are not used to scratch layer cakes anymore. I think things like bundt cakes and crumb cakes, yes, but straight up layer cakes, not so much. I don't know many people these days who make scratch layer cakes, so people don't expect the texture and taste when they do have it! Don't stress it, keep decorating!! Don't let other opinions affect you! If your customers are happy and keep coming, that is all that counts! Do you go out to dinner and ask if anything they make or sell I should say, has emulsifiers, stabilizers or preservatives?!! I know I don't! But then again, I am not a health nut!

Sorry this is long but man, sometimes ya gotta vent!

First off.........please press the enter button once in a while so that your posts will be easier to read. (separate sentences, for my old eyes) icon_biggrin.gif

I am the opposite of you............I love to bake/cook everything. Decorating......well not my strongest point....but I get by. (I mean look at my photos icon_rolleyes.gif )

Anyway, why do you think that "those that can bake feel superior"? I learned how to bake from my Mom when I was a little girl, the kitchen is where I love to be. It's a connection to my late Grandmother and Mother who were both fantastic cooks/bakers. It is my first love.

It hurts when someone says that because I'm a success at baking that I think I'm superior. That is just not true.

Do you think that people who have other skills also feel superior?

Just curious............and sad icon_sad.gif

-K8memphis Posted 28 May 2009 , 2:03am
post #167 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissypie

. Does that make the decorator less worthy?

Yes of course it does--but but but If you wear an unstabilized sandwich sign that says I use scratched decorating toys from boxes and write one hundred times I will not lie you can be saved. icon_biggrin.gif

PS. Try a different recipe book!

Google Sylvia Weinstock's yellow cake (it comes out white) I do not separate the eggs I put them in one at a time after the sugar and butter have been creamed and is all fluffy and I use an extra quarter cup of cake flour--it's a lovely lovely formula--I also delete two of the egg yolks--great great easy cake.

costumeczar Posted 28 May 2009 , 2:06am
post #168 of 190

Go to www.peepresearch.org to see how the internet is making us all more educated. The scary thing is that Peeps apparently don't even dissolve in acid!?!?!?

Melnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melnick Posted 28 May 2009 , 2:27am
post #169 of 190

Most of my friends buy a premade cake and then decorate it. I'd rather do that too. None of them would have a problem with buying a cake from you under those circumstances - it's the decorating that's the really hard part in all their opinions. Well it's also really hard to bake a great cake too so most of us like the prebought stuff since you know they'll cook it right everytime and you don't have to spend a fortune of ingredients that you totally spoil. Obviously, I just do it for a hobby. But like I said, none of my friends would object at all to the service you offer. We just buy uninced sheet cakes from our department store then carve, cut and/or stack them, ice them and decorate! In fact so many people here do it, that last year they suddenly uped their price 10 fold because we'll all still pay it rather than having to bake the cake ourselves.

Melnick Posted 28 May 2009 , 2:32am
post #170 of 190

Sorry, meant to say in the end that I think your business idea is great and I think you can experience a lot of success. Go for it!

Melnick Posted 28 May 2009 , 2:32am
post #171 of 190

Sorry, meant to say in the end that I think your business idea is great and I think you can experience a lot of success. Go for it!

chrissypie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrissypie Posted 28 May 2009 , 2:40am
post #172 of 190

ROTFL!!! Just have to giggle because judging from the responses to my post, it just proves that no matter what you say, someone will find anything, the one thing, that could be deemed insulting and jump on it! Ya know, sometimes when you write an long

post, without pressing

enter

you get jumbled and write something incorrectly

like the comment about scratch bakers feeling superior.

meant to say, that most, not all, ( lest I be insulting again) scratch bakers think that their products are superior, not neccesarily that they are superior themselves. oops forgot to press

enter

and I do apologize for suggesting that they felt superior

but i think the person who thinks that a cake decorator who uses mixes is a less skilled DECORATOR is wrong. Plain and simple. I have seen plenty of cakes on here made by people who scratch bake and the cakes are ugly and sloppy. And I have seen cakes on here by people who used mixes and their cakes are AMAZING looking. ooops

enter

Deb_ Posted 28 May 2009 , 2:58am
post #173 of 190

Well chrissypie I would make the assumption that each individual baker (whether mix or scratch), thinks that their product is superior to their competition.

I mean why would any of us not want our product to be superior in this business?

Beauty and taste are in the eye/mouth of the beholder.

As far as your comment and I quote

" i think the person who thinks that a cake decorator who uses mixes is a less skilled DECORATOR is wrong. Plain and simple. I have seen plenty of cakes on here made by people who scratch bake and the cakes are ugly and sloppy. And I have seen cakes on here by people who used mixes and their cakes are AMAZING looking. ooops"

I'm not sure how you can tell from a picture in the galleries if the cake was made from scratch or not, but there are many different members here with many different skill levels. I personally haven't seen any ugly or sloppy cakes and it's wrong to insult or demean anyone's hard work.
Please, let's not go there.

Oh, and we all thank you for the spacing.

edited to fix my horrific punctuation icon_rolleyes.gif

elvis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvis Posted 28 May 2009 , 5:07am
post #174 of 190

I so wish that I wasn't up at 1am waiting for my cakes to finish baking. I am going to dream tonight of the day when someone else can do this for me! good luck with your business!

Brownie1954 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brownie1954 Posted 28 May 2009 , 1:14pm
post #175 of 190

Hello....
I don't know about any of you, but with this site being worked on, things are still messed up for me. For instance, I get on a page to a thread, and the names of the people who are posting, are covered up with advertisements.....I for one can't wait until this mess is done.
So...What has this got to do with anything? I can't read the name of the poster who stated that she is tired of ALL the mix bakers critisizing (how is that spelled!?) her because she's a scratch baker.....
Just want to say....Not ALL of us do that....I am a mix baker, because I posted back about five pages ago that I have tried scratch, and my cakes taste like sawdust!
I wish someone from around here who knows how to do it, could help me figure out what I am doing wrong. Maybe one of you scratch bakers would have some ideas? I would love to know how to do it both ways....And yes, I do tell my customers up front that I bake from mix. I have not, nor will I pretend I offer something that I don't. My cake mix business is exploding by the way......Yay!!!

txnonnie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txnonnie Posted 28 May 2009 , 2:45pm
post #176 of 190

I must say that I was a little surprised at some of the strong comments/conflicts that I read. I hope slopokesgirl has been able to get some answers to her questions.

I am a wonderful cook and baker, trait passed down from family. I too love being in the kitchen. I love the expression on faces when someone eats what I have prepared. My Sunday School class is a prime example of that.

I use scratch and I use mixes. I also had a cake disaster and bought a frozen baked uniced cake from a local grocer with a bakery to repair the cake just hours before the event. As long as your customer is happy it all works.

slopokesgirl has to do what she has to do to get her business up and going until she can do different. My state does not allow home based bakeries, therefore, I can understand what you are going through. Luckily I have another job and do cakes on the side as hobby working towards more.

-K8memphis Posted 28 May 2009 , 3:33pm
post #177 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownie1954

... I posted back about five pages ago that I have tried scratch, and my cakes taste like sawdust!
I wish someone from around here who knows how to do it, could help me figure out what I am doing wrong...

Here's an idea for you for a great scratch cake. White cake generally is the most persnickety so here's a great white cake that's named yellow but it comes out white.

Google Sylvia Weinstock's yellow cake.

I use the exact kind of ingredients listed--like don't use ap flour --use cake flour as listed. But for the eggs I use 2 whole eggs and 2 yolks --for the flour I use 2.5 cups it calls for 2.25 cups.

So I cream the cold not warm not soft butter--can be out of frige 15 minutes prior to using--cutting it into little chunks the same size helps--this is using KA type mixer. Add the sugar and cream till nice & fluffly. (I use 2 whole eggs and 2 egg whites) Add the eggs one at a time to the light & lovely creamed mixture and get that nice & flufflier. Make sure it looks all smooth. Add vanilla

Add one third of the powdered ingredients combine till all is incorporated --aka ctaii this ctaii on speed 3-4 ish
add one half the sour cream ctaii
add one third powdered ctaii
add remaining sc ctaii
add last of pwdrd ctaii
beat on speed 5-6 for 2 minutes

bake ~ wah lah

I use wasc for tier cakes though because of the stabilizers in there--I chill my cakes and this butter made scratch cake for me does not do well for me chilled --it stays too firm at room temp and I think it feels too scratchy down my throat since lots of us have all pretty much gotten used to the fluffier type cake when it comes to classic white cake. That's what my unscientific taste tests have and that's what works pour moi.

Brownie1954 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brownie1954 Posted 28 May 2009 , 3:43pm
post #178 of 190

Well thank you! I will most definately try this recipe! I would love to be able to do it. I could use mixes when I need to, and the rest of the time do a scratch! YAAAAY......Hopefully this next attempt won't have my brother saying "It was so dry, it reminded me of standing in the middle of a sandstorm with my mouth open" icon_cry.gificon_rolleyes.gif

-K8memphis Posted 28 May 2009 , 3:49pm
post #179 of 190
Quote:

Well thank you! I will most definately try this recipe! I would love to be able to do it. I could use mixes when I need to, and the rest of the time do a scratch! YAAAAY......Hopefully this next attempt won't have my brother saying "It was so dry, it reminded me of standing in the middle of a sandstorm with my mouth open" icon_cry.gificon_rolleyes.gif

I think it is essential for me as a caker to be able to pipe a rose and be able to do a white scratch cake. It took me eons to accomplish both and it feels good. They were kinda like my big foundational pieces. My cake ged.

But with the availability of the stabilizers to any and all, to me it's not important to sell or advertise only one kind or the other. I think it confuses people. I ask folks do you want fluffy or dense. I use the one that works best for me and I don't tell my business secrets no matter if the stars fall. Ingredient lists yes--state secrets uh ugh.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No no no, I got it--on the brother? Duct tape!

edited to clarify

costumeczar Posted 28 May 2009 , 4:27pm
post #180 of 190
Quote:

Ahhh, aren't brothers great? icon_mad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%