Question: Cake Decorator Doesn't Bake Her Own Cakes?

Decorating By slopokesgirl Updated 28 May 2009 , 6:43pm by JanH

tazmycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tazmycat Posted 28 May 2009 , 5:04pm
post #181 of 190

Mix baker here and proud of it. Have no desire to try scratch as mixes are sooooo good. Also love Sam's, Walmart, Harris Teeter cakes. Really yummy.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 28 May 2009 , 5:55pm
post #182 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazmycat

Mix baker here and proud of it. Have no desire to try scratch as mixes are sooooo good. Also love Sam's, Walmart, Harris Teeter cakes. Really yummy.

I love grocery store cakes too, Tazmc. I had some from Costco with cherry filling and it was amazing.

But I've been fairly trounced about the mix thing over the years so I'm not so proud of it personally. Trounced by sucktomers, etc. --not by anyone here --baggage, I've got baggage.

But curiously enough at Seessel's they used too much stabilizer in their ingredient by ingredient made cake --aka scratch--that it tasted like poo unless it was iced. If it was iced the sugar blast from the icing mellowed the cornbreadyness of the cake.

Nice to see you.

Glad you are proud.

Brownie1954 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brownie1954 Posted 28 May 2009 , 6:09pm
post #183 of 190

He's my twin, and he usually gobbles up my cakes and licks his fingers, so I let that little comment go...For him to spat it out and toss the rest in the garbage, I knew it was BAD......It was very disappointing! BUT....I have a chance to try a new recipe, so wish me luck! thumbs_up.gif

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 28 May 2009 , 6:21pm
post #184 of 190

So, I'm sitting here reading all this hoo-ha and I keep wondering something.

I've been asked to make a cake next week. The customer is providing the mix and the pan.

What does that mean in the scratch-vs-mix debate?

To me, nothing. LOL The customer gets what the customer wants, within reason.

Would it matter if I said this a freebie cake for my daughter's in-laws?

This all seems so silly to me. I can do either- mix or scratch. Even with a mix, sometimes cakes don't come out of the oven usable. Ask me about last weekend's Fanci-Fill experience. LOL

No one ever asks me what I use. Although I'm new, all I ever get is, "You do cakes?" Same deal with catering. The next question is always, "How much?"

Seriously, the OP's gotta make some bucks. Got bills to pay, mouths to feed. Just make the health dept. happy and do what they ask. The why doesn't matter 'cause it's not going to change their mind. It's not illegal, immoral, or unethical so do what ya gotta do.

Now, if I were asked what I use, I would say, "What do you prefer? I can do both." If I couldn't do both I'd probably say, "I have a partner who handles making the scratch cakes because they are superb with them but I'm the one who does all the decorating. I'm guessing you like how my cakes are decorated since you contacted me (with a sweet smile)."

If you want to use "made from scratch" for your marketing purposes, have at it. However, if you're using only organic ingredients, wouldn't you use "all natural" or "organic" instead? Doesn't the use of the words all natural or organic have some restrictions on it legally? I digress.

My opinion is- use it for marketing if you like. Use it to bash someone else on a mesage board or because it makes you feel superior- not nice.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 28 May 2009 , 6:24pm
post #185 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheatize

Use it to bash someone else on a mesage board or because it makes you feel superior- not nice.

Wow...and if you see anyone doing this, by all means, please tell them to take a hike.

__Jamie__ Posted 28 May 2009 , 6:27pm
post #186 of 190
Quote:

I've been asked to make a cake next week. The customer is providing the mix and the pan.

What does that mean in the scratch-vs-mix debate? Ummmm, it means that you are making a cake from a box mix and pan that the customer provided to you...I don't get the question I guess. Are you expecting someone to start flaming you for it?
To me, nothing.

[/b]

cheatize Posted 28 May 2009 , 6:30pm
post #187 of 190

Since this discussion is so heated, I guess I should have added this:

I'm not pointing fingers at anyone. I don't know nearly enough about this subject or any of the posters on here to point fingers at anyone other than myself.

I was actually speaking of message boards in general- not this one or this thread in particular.

cheatize Posted 28 May 2009 , 6:33pm
post #188 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

Quote:

What does that mean in the scratch-vs-mix debate? Ummmm, it means that you are making a cake from a box mix and pan that the customer provided to you...I don't get the question I guess. Are you expecting someone to start flaming you for it?
To me, nothing.

[/b]

What I meant is that I'm wondering what it means when a customer obviously wants a box mix. I guess I'm just pointing out that every person has their own preference.

__Jamie__ Posted 28 May 2009 , 6:35pm
post #189 of 190

Cheatzie...it doesn't mean anything. The customer wants a box mix...so if you bake with box mix and/or offer it in addition to your scratch mixes, then go for it.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 28 May 2009 , 6:43pm
post #190 of 190

Hopefully, the OP received sufficient feedback on her question. Am locking the thread now.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%