Buttercream Recipe?

Decorating By d_michelle95 Updated 25 May 2009 , 11:18pm by sugarshack

d_michelle95 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
d_michelle95 Posted 24 May 2009 , 6:56pm
post #1 of 14

Well I have been looking for a GOOD buttercream recipe that atleast crusts some... I have tried 3 different ones and none crust AT ALL! So what is the recipe that you all use?

Also I have seen that alot of you all like the SugarShack buttercream but can't find the recipe for it, anyone have it and willing to share I would be forever greatful for all the advice you awesome cakers have!! TIA!

13 replies
Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 24 May 2009 , 7:10pm
post #2 of 14

We use beat 24 oz butter with 2 tbsp water and 3 tbsp meringue powder. Then we slowly add 2 lbs confectioner's sugar. Afterwards, we add any flavors and/or colors.

We got SugarShack's recipe and awesome directions from her YouTube video. We're still keeping with our butter mixture but we're adding the creamer and it is AMAZING!!!!!

Paul & Peter

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 24 May 2009 , 7:21pm
post #3 of 14

Welcome, d-michelle95!!
Sugarshack's recipe is awesome. It's a 1:1 ratio of high ratio shortening and powdered sugar (2 cups of shortening to 2 cups powdered sugar, etc.).
Her liquid is a dry coffee creamer that she mixes into water, also as a 1:1 ratio. I think she starts out with 1/4 c water and 1/4 c creamer. One of her secrets is that she puts the now liquid creamer into the shortening very hot. Gets the shortening really smooth that way. You can use flavored creamers, of course!
hth!

d_michelle95 Posted 24 May 2009 , 8:22pm
post #4 of 14

Thank you, I'll go search for her on Youtube now!!

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 24 May 2009 , 8:47pm
post #5 of 14

Sugarshack's recipe is right here on CC. Just search sugarshack in the recipes. Here is one that she posted:
http://cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-5163-2-Sugarshacks-icing-and-Tips.html

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 24 May 2009 , 8:53pm
post #6 of 14

Doesn't a little bit of salt make buttercream crust as well?

d_michelle95 Posted 24 May 2009 , 9:02pm
post #7 of 14

Thank you Kathy I tried to do a search and it didn't show up!

Also, does anyone have a website or the youtube link you could share... I tried to look on youtube and came up with a bunch of bands and stuff.... I can't seem to find anything today for some reason icon_redface.gif

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 24 May 2009 , 9:04pm
post #8 of 14

d_michelle95: I just realized that I didn't tell you her recipe exactly right. The icing is indeed a 1:1 ratio, but it's 2 cups of high ratio shortening to 2 boxes of powdered sugar.
My apologies icon_redface.gif

DessertDreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DessertDreams Posted 24 May 2009 , 9:08pm
post #9 of 14

I am a convert. I used to use a buttercream recipe usuing butter and crisco. Now, I use Sugarshacks. IT IS THE BOMB!!!! I couldn't imagine that high ratio shortening could make that big of a difference so I made 2 batches, one w/ Crisco one w/ high ratio. HUGE difference. You could see the difference and once I touched it w/my spatula I was head over heels. I don't think I'll be using anything elseicon_smile.gif

d_michelle95 Posted 24 May 2009 , 9:09pm
post #10 of 14

Sorry I finally found the youtube video, YEAH!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 24 May 2009 , 11:49pm
post #11 of 14

Can someone tell me the difference between hi-ratio shortening and regular shortening? I can't remember!

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 25 May 2009 , 12:49am
post #12 of 14

Hi ratio has more emulsifiers in it; it is commercial grade.

creamier, less greasy, more stable, smoother, better mouth feel, less cracking.

here is the youtube on me making a batch:

d_michelle95 Posted 25 May 2009 , 10:43pm
post #13 of 14

Thak you! Where would I find the high ratio, I went to the local grocery store wiith no luck. If I can't find it can I use regular shortening or will it not work? Thank you so much for all the help everyone!

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 25 May 2009 , 11:18pm
post #14 of 14

yes, get a brand that HAS trans fat in it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%