Now I Understand More Why Brides Need To Overspend...

Lounge By -Tubbs Updated 25 May 2009 , 12:00am by Shelle_75

jo_ann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jo_ann Posted 23 May 2009 , 9:11pm
post #91 of 93

I'm not going to say no to their order either. No way. If they want to do it and can afford it then more power to them. These people are my bread and butter. I love them.

Jo-Ann

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 23 May 2009 , 9:23pm
post #92 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbelgard

How many people do you know who have been fired for attending their grandma's funeral? Or going to the doctor?

I don't know of people who have been fired for attending the funeral of a family member, but I DO know people who have been fired for attending the sixth funeral of a person they knew without being blood related to. And my own aunt was fired for lack of attendence due to illness--even though she had doctor's notes.

Quote:

And how is a sick kid infecting everyone else teaching them anything good? What if your kid has fifth's disease and their teacher is pregnant? I suppose it's still a good idea to send them in. I can just imagine the conversation when a kid has swine flu: "It's okay to go to school sweetie, I know you'll get everyone sick but we want to teach you to go to work everyday."

Oh, gawd, not the swine flu argument! That is such a load of crap; it's not even a serious illness. The CDC is even telling doctors NOT to use antibiotics to treat it except in the most extreme cases!

Of course I think there are circumstances under which you should not attend school or work. However, rewarding perfect attendance teaches children that they need to determine whether a circumstance is more important than the reward they get. Grandma's funeral or pink-eye are generally more important than an ipod, a cold is not.

And honestly, I'd RATHER see kids exposed to this stuff when they're kids, because the truth is that they'll be healthier as an adult if they catch stuff when they're kids. Immune systems need exercise, too.

Quote:

Good attendence should be encouraged but not perfect because it's a goal that is unreal and puts others at risk.

I don't see that it's an unreal goal. I've had perfect attendance both in school and at work for the simple fact that I've gone through years without having anything like a funeral or getting sick.

You want an unreal goal, an unreal goal is "keeping people from getting sick, zomg!"

Shelle_75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelle_75 Posted 25 May 2009 , 12:00am
post #93 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by varika

I've had perfect attendance both in school and at work for the simple fact that I've gone through years without having anything like a funeral or getting sick.

I'd say that this makes you very fortunate, then. But because of people sending their children to school sick, we spend at least one week a month during the fall and winter with flu, bronchitis, et al, going around our house. I agree that more people should keep their sick children home!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%