Australian/south African Roses

Decorating By devorie Updated 24 May 2009 , 7:15am by Cake4ever

devorie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
devorie Posted 22 May 2009 , 6:51am
post #1 of 9

For some reason (I think cutters) the gals in Australia and SA tend to make gorgeous roses - they don't look real but they are very chic. The petals usually have a point to them. Does anyone have any idea what cutter I would use to make those?

8 replies
Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 22 May 2009 , 7:39am
post #2 of 9

Im from south africa and not sure what you mean by the petal have a point to them? Maybe you can post a pic? I use normal rose cutters for my roses and this is the result

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1371250&sub=1371251

Sparklepop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sparklepop Posted 22 May 2009 , 11:06am
post #3 of 9

Do you might mean that they roll back the outer petals and it can form a point in the centre? The cutters we use would be the same as yours. Like Riana said a picture would be more helpful thumbs_up.gif

devorie Posted 22 May 2009 , 10:56pm
post #4 of 9

http://www.flickr.com/photos/65668398@N00/3551060666/in/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lecupcake/2365240043/

These photos are from Cupcake D'lights (SA) and LeCupcake (AU)

Is it the cutter or the talent? If it's the talent does anyone have instruction on how to get that look? I especially love the first one.

TIA

Sparklepop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sparklepop Posted 23 May 2009 , 12:40am
post #5 of 9

I still think it's what I said earlier. Using a normal rose cutter, thin the outside edge and use your fingers gently brush the petal back and pinch that will give you a curl and a "point" at the centre. That's what I would do.
Does that make sense?

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 23 May 2009 , 4:17am
post #6 of 9

yep, those are normal rose cutters, I agree with Sparklepop

Cake4ever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake4ever Posted 23 May 2009 , 6:55am
post #7 of 9

I have that rose cutter and it is by FMM a UK company. It has a pointed tip. This is a real type of rose, I happen to have these in white.

Oh and to get that petal soft, you ball tool the petal on one side of the point and then the other, rolling back and forth making sure to keep the ball tool half on the petal and half on the cel pad. I have a metal ball tool and will not go back to plastic. I definitely recommend one with a wooden handle. Metal handles will absorb the heat from your hand.

Hope that helps,
Diana

devorie Posted 24 May 2009 , 7:04am
post #8 of 9

Thanks Rianna and Sparklepop...I will try to mess with my petals again.
Diana, do you know which one of the FMM rose cutters you have?

Cake4ever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake4ever Posted 24 May 2009 , 7:15am
post #9 of 9

It measures 6 cm.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%