Why Does Fondant Change Color????????????

Decorating By abed Updated 22 May 2009 , 3:35pm by bakingatthebeach

abed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abed Posted 22 May 2009 , 2:21am
post #1 of 7

I recently made a bow out of fondant and let it dry for a few days, the color was pink, as it dried the pink color got lighter and lighter, anyone know why this happens???

6 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 22 May 2009 , 3:18am
post #2 of 7

Pink does this, and purple is worse. I'm sure it has something to do with the coloring. To help keep it from fading you want to keep it out of sunlight and florescent lights.

MirnaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MirnaG Posted 22 May 2009 , 3:24am
post #3 of 7

This just happened to me with a cake i made this weekend. The color was purple pink. The party was at the park. Although the cake was in the box the top was a little exposed because the lid didn't close all the way. About an hour later the cake was turning into a light pink, sort of white. Thank goodness i took pictures of it before that happened. icon_sad.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 May 2009 , 12:38pm
post #4 of 7

I knew before opening the thread that this would involve red coloring.

When they took Red Dye #2 off of the market in the 70's, bakers lost a good stable coloring. Nothing else worked as well. The red will fade when exposed to really bright light (florescent, sunlight, etc).

Purple is red+blue ... so when the red fades, all you have left is the blue.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 22 May 2009 , 12:45pm
post #5 of 7

One thing that you can do to fix your fondant if it fades is paint it with some paste color mixed with vodka. It's easier to get a nice finish on things like bows than on a whole cake. When I have painted things purple, they don't fade.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 22 May 2009 , 2:14pm
post #6 of 7

The Chefmaster No-fade pink and purple colorings help. Sometimes I mix them with other shades because they're not quite right on their own.

bakingatthebeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingatthebeach Posted 22 May 2009 , 3:35pm
post #7 of 7

I had the same problem with the cake in my pics with the purple blossoms running up it. Spent all day making the stupid things just to have them dry a tie dyed color of purple. I even tried keeping them in a dark place but they did the same thing, just not as bad. Ended up using gumpaste and keeping it in a dark place and that worked.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%