How Do I Clean My Silicone Mat?

Decorating By sweet_teeth Updated 22 May 2009 , 2:33am by sweet_teeth

sweet_teeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_teeth Posted 22 May 2009 , 12:39am
post #1 of 5

Gosh this seems like such an airhead question, but everything i've tried has failed to actually clean it.

I've tried the obvious things, like running it under hot water and using windex.. but it's still not clean. I had a sweater on last time I used it and there are little fuzzies on it that refuse to come off! lol.

Has anyone had success in the dishwasher? Or using something other than a windex type product?

Thanks for the help, as always!

-Alexandra

4 replies
Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 22 May 2009 , 12:42am
post #2 of 5

Usually just rinsing it with water and soap does the trick.

Do you use the Ateco mat?

If you do, do you find that it has some type of smell?

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 22 May 2009 , 1:10am
post #3 of 5

Not sure what brand of mat you have, but don't use Windex on them. It's something that's going to be in direct contact with food, no way to that. thumbsdown.gif

I have the Silpat and Exopat mats and they clean up beautifully by just soaking them in hot soapy water for a few minutes. (I like Dawn dish soap, it makes it squeaky clean.) You can also put it them the dishwasher.

Steffen74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steffen74 Posted 22 May 2009 , 1:12am
post #4 of 5

I lay mine out on the table and go over it with a wet soapy sponge. Then I take dry paper towels and wipe and wipe until all the water's off. I have found that paper towels are the only way I can get all the stuff off. I've tried the dishwasher deal, but I use the big blue mat so I had to do it once then flip it over kind of to get all surfaces. PITA.

icon_smile.gif

sweet_teeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_teeth Posted 22 May 2009 , 2:33am
post #5 of 5

I use food grade sanitizing spray which I colloquially give it the name windex. It's fine to clean with where food will be...

I have the alteco mat btw, and yes it does smell funky, lol.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%