Black Icing

Decorating By KKaye Updated 21 May 2009 , 6:58pm by Lita829

KKaye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKaye Posted 21 May 2009 , 6:37pm
post #1 of 5

I need to color royal icing black so I can do some piping. Is there a base color I should start with so I get a true black. It seems that I remember that just starting with black will give you dark gray. Please offer me some help.

4 replies
angeleyes5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angeleyes5 Posted 21 May 2009 , 6:44pm
post #2 of 5

I think you are supposed to start with a chocolate BC frosting. Then you add the black coloring. Let it sit overnight so that you can see if you need to add more black. It may lighten up as it sits.

bubba01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubba01 Posted 21 May 2009 , 6:46pm
post #3 of 5

I normally don't start with a base color. When I color my icing black, I put in quite a bit of color to get it black.

bakermommy4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakermommy4 Posted 21 May 2009 , 6:57pm
post #4 of 5

I don't ever use a base color for coloring the royal icing black...I just use a lot of black....add a little, mix, add a little more, mix, add a little more mix. It's true that the color will come in more after some time but I never wait for that time to come...I just add the black until I get the desired tone.

hth

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 21 May 2009 , 6:58pm
post #5 of 5

My practice is the same as Bubba01. I just put a good amount of black into the royal icing without using a different base color. It really doesn't take too much of the black...about a half a bottle per 2 cups (that is a guesstimate icon_wink.gif )

HTH icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%