First Time Cake, Need Help

Decorating By 4rays2hunny_bunnies2 Updated 20 May 2009 , 2:53am by 4rays2hunny_bunnies2

4rays2hunny_bunnies2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4rays2hunny_bunnies2 Posted 20 May 2009 , 2:25am
post #1 of 7

My daughter is turning 2 in a little over a month. Her theme is Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. My husband and I are going to make her the cake. Seeing as this is the first time making a cake large enough for the number of guests, about 50, when would we need to get started on all the fondant and gumpaste decorations and cutouts? We live in Mississippi and as you can guess June is really humid and we know that the humidity plays in on the fondant factor. So any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

6 replies
cakeinthebox4U Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeinthebox4U Posted 20 May 2009 , 2:31am
post #2 of 7

I really can't help with your question since I don't live in a humid climate but here is a bump for ya! Good Luck - I'm doing a Mickey Mouse cake for my daughters 3rd birthday in November!! icon_smile.gif

cakeinthebox4U Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeinthebox4U Posted 20 May 2009 , 2:31am
post #3 of 7

I really can't help with your question since I don't live in a humid climate but here is a bump for ya! Good Luck - I'm doing a Mickey Mouse cake for my daughters 3rd birthday in November!! icon_smile.gif

sandykay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandykay Posted 20 May 2009 , 2:35am
post #4 of 7

I live in florida, and I have made them in as short as 4 days, if the were no bigger than the size of my hand.

4rays2hunny_bunnies2 Posted 20 May 2009 , 2:40am
post #5 of 7

Thank you so much. Takes a lot of pressure off of us.

wakeandbake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wakeandbake Posted 20 May 2009 , 2:46am
post #6 of 7

i would start two weeks before. i know that this may seem like its too far ahead of the date, but it will give you enough time to judge how long individual pieces will take to dry because they probably won't all be the same size. then when it is time to actually bake and ice your cake all you have to do is attach your ready peices which really alleviates alot of stress. also, it will give you a chance to change anything that you feel like could use improvement especially if you are making some things for the first time. at least that's the way i am. we are our own worst critics!

4rays2hunny_bunnies2 Posted 20 May 2009 , 2:53am
post #7 of 7

Thanks again for all the help. My husband is the cake person of the house and he wants me to ask is fondant the right choice? I know that we will have to use icing to make the fondant stick to the cake but could we use just icing and maybe add a few fondant and gumpaste features to it? We got the inspiration from a cake we saw in the gallery and they used fondant as a base then the m.m. head was made out of candymelts. The person, turtlesoup, use a discontinued m.m. mold/pan would it be o.k. to make the topper two weeks ahead and just freeze it or would it be better to make one as a trial and make one closer to the party?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%