Do I Add Another Layer???

Decorating By Kerry_Kake Updated 29 May 2009 , 6:20pm by Rylan

Kerry_Kake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kerry_Kake Posted 19 May 2009 , 11:47pm
post #1 of 16

I am making a 3 tier cake and I was wondering if it is going to be high enough. Each tier has 2 layers and each tier measures 3 1/4" unfilled and no frosting. All together the cake is about 10" tall unfilled and not frosted.
The topper is almost 6" tall. Will this look funny on the size cake? Maybe I should add another layer to each tier making the cake about 15" tall?
It is a 6,9 & 12" tiers. Adding another layer will make each tier almost 5", is that too tall? I think I'm stuck in the middle, the standard height for the tiers is 4", right?
Please give me advise!!! icon_redface.gif

15 replies
KitchenKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenKat Posted 20 May 2009 , 12:47am
post #2 of 16

Can you add more info about the topper? sorry but I Can't visualize it without a picture or at least a description of the topper.

i_heart_pastry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
i_heart_pastry Posted 20 May 2009 , 12:59am
post #3 of 16

Once you fill and ice, your tiers will be closer to 4 inches. How big (diameter) is your top tier? How wide is your topper? One way to get a quick visual is to stack your pans - even if you have to use a couple of books between them to acheive the correct height. Put your topper onto the top pan and that will at least give you some perspective on how it will look.

Good luck!
Bec

krispy1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krispy1976 Posted 20 May 2009 , 1:01am
post #4 of 16

By the time you add your filling and buttercream or fondant there should be enough height you would think. I guess I would feel fine with 4" cake tiers, with a 6" topper...But thats just my thoughtsssssssss

Kerry_Kake Posted 20 May 2009 , 1:52am
post #5 of 16

I'm starting to feel a little better about the height of this cake. Here is a picture of it undecorated with the topper.
BTW, putting this picture on makes me feel naked! LOL icon_redface.gif

Once I get the fillings, buttercream, then fondant it will be better icon_wink.gif
What do you think?
LL
LL

Kerry_Kake Posted 20 May 2009 , 1:53am
post #6 of 16

It looks so much bigger in the picture icon_confused.gif

KitchenKat Posted 20 May 2009 , 3:34am
post #7 of 16

Proportions look good! Now knock it out of the ballpark!

katielb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katielb Posted 20 May 2009 , 11:35am
post #8 of 16

yep, i wouldnt go bigger icon_smile.gif

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 20 May 2009 , 11:44am
post #9 of 16

I think it looks good. Once you fill and ice it will be taller but it looks good as it to me. Make sure to dowl well to hold the topper though.

Kerry_Kake Posted 25 May 2009 , 2:20pm
post #10 of 16

Finally finished this cake. I could not get the same look in camouflage because I think the original is airbrushed. What do you think? Anyway this is what I ended up with and she loved it!
LL

KitchenKat Posted 25 May 2009 , 2:39pm
post #11 of 16

I think it looks wonderful! (although I personally would never have the occasion or inclination to order a "hunting couple in camo" cake. he he he)

You did a great job. I like the cake board too!

350BakerStreet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
350BakerStreet Posted 28 May 2009 , 11:12pm
post #12 of 16

You might be a redneck if....lol! The cake looks awesome. I wouldn't change a thing icon_smile.gif

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 29 May 2009 , 8:46am
post #13 of 16

Looks great Kerry! It looks so so similar to the other cake. I love it. Btw, where did you get the tree thingy stand?

Kerry_Kake Posted 29 May 2009 , 12:44pm
post #14 of 16

Thanks Rylan! Remember when I told you I was feeling down even when the MOB called to say how great the cake was? This was the cake, I wasn't completely happy with it. It doesn't look anything like the picture. But I do believe the other cake is airbrushed. I never even took a video of this cake. The tree stump was cut by the groom. I told them the exact size to cut and they did a great job. The cake is actually on a cake drum. It's the exact same size as the bottom cake, so it's not on the wood. I did the delivery and set up. I was a little more happy with it once it was set up.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 29 May 2009 , 1:16pm
post #15 of 16

Oh it's awesome!

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 29 May 2009 , 6:20pm
post #16 of 16

Kerry you should totally be happy with this. I actually had to go check the other picture when I saw the cake that you made because I thought it was the same cake but a different topper =]

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%