Help, Please.

Decorating By hobbymommy Updated 19 May 2009 , 6:42pm by hobbymommy

hobbymommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hobbymommy Posted 19 May 2009 , 5:30pm
post #1 of 7

I have square cake w/ 10" & 8" round tiers on top of it. I will be adding a mixture of dipped strawberries, plain strawberries & grapes to the cake. I do not want to just cover it in choco BC, I want something more creative. It is for Teacher's Appreciation/School's Out for my daughter's school, due tomorrow. I have been searching for some ideas in the gallery but have yet to find some inspiration that just 'POPS'.....know what I mean? I would like to somehow do choco & white BC with some sort of simple design, dots, a few scrolls, etc. I just feel a 'block' all of a sudden & cannot come up w/something on my own. Any suggestions???

BTW, I'm fairly new here & have not properly introduced myself.

I'm Crystal, 28 yrs old w/3 beautiful princesses, Madison is 9, Natalie will be 5 next month & Neveah is preciously 15 mos. old.....AND, awaiting a kidney transplant from my MIL. I'm married to my high school sweetheart, we've been together for 13 yrs & we live in good ole' Louisiana. I've been decorating cakes every since my 9 yr old's 2nd birthday, I think I've come a long way, having never taken any classes. I've always stuck to birthdays, baby showers & church event cakes, but I've recently began doing groom's cakes & have said I 'THINK' I'm now ready to do wedding cakes. I'd like to practice on some dummies once I found out where to purchase some. I do love CakeCentral, very HIGHLY addictive & can't seem to manage a single day lately w/o looking around on it.

Thanks for reading & for any suggestions you might have.

Crystal

6 replies
mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 19 May 2009 , 5:38pm
post #2 of 7

Crystal, Welcome to CC!! You could look through the gallery for ideas. I do that when I'm stumped for ideas. You can even search for certain colors, shapes, decorations.

Hope this helps.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 19 May 2009 , 5:41pm
post #3 of 7

A cake like that sounds yummy in poured ganache....maybe some gold trim?

bebea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bebea Posted 19 May 2009 , 5:44pm
post #4 of 7

scrolls would be great...maybe in ivory? would look great on the choc!

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 19 May 2009 , 5:46pm
post #5 of 7

Hola Crystal and Welcome to CC!

What about leaving it white and drizzling dark chocolate around the top?
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1009973
This one is PERFECT!
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1240441

For dummies:
http://www.dallas-foam.com/store/

dellboi2u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dellboi2u Posted 19 May 2009 , 5:47pm
post #6 of 7

Have you thought of pouring ganache on the top? Here is one of my pictures incase you don't know what I am talking about..... it is soooo soooo good!
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1297265

hobbymommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hobbymommy Posted 19 May 2009 , 6:42pm
post #7 of 7

These are all great ideas.....I'm just....not brave enough to try the 'poured' ganache just yet. In my very near future, though, I do plan to, maybe my sister's 21st bday cake if she wants me to.

Call me chicken....lol. I've seen alot of these cakes on here lately, while looking up an idea for this particular cake I'm doing, and several people said it was a learning experience, or learned what 'not' to do next time. If this was a small cake, I'd probably go for it. But my cake is too big to risk any "Uh-ohs!" I'm sure most of you are like me in the fact that I can see every little flaw in my own cake, even though everyone else seems to say it looks great, or the famous, "Oh, you can't even tell." if you point out a little mistake.

I do like the 'ivory' suggestion, but may stick to the traditional buttercream, as I've never even tried an ivory tint before.

I thought about alternating the tiers, either choco BC in the middle 10" round, w/trdt'l BC on bottom square & top small round tier & piping a choco BC design on them & trdt'l BC piping on the middle choco BC covered tier?????.......

Has anyone ever seen anything like that?

Thanks soooo much,
Crystal

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%