Crisco Shortening Without Transfat

Decorating By Yankie Updated 7 Jun 2009 , 10:22pm by DyMakesCake

Yankie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yankie Posted 19 May 2009 , 2:09am
post #1 of 13

I was reading a post in Spanish and it talked about the new crisco shortening without transfat and the problems they are having with icing cakes. Is anyone having difficuties with it and if so, what can you do to control the problem?

12 replies
AZCakeGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCakeGirl Posted 19 May 2009 , 2:14am
post #2 of 13

You can switch to a generic brand. A lot of them still have the trans fat in them, just check the label & it will tell you.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 19 May 2009 , 2:20am
post #3 of 13

I don't have problems with it. Just all the air. I use Indydebi's icing actually. I don't like the results I got from storebrand shortening. I'm not sure if its just me.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 19 May 2009 , 3:53am
post #4 of 13

If I am remember correctly the 'new' crisco came out about two years ago. So if you haven't had any problems in the last year with your icing recipes or with the crisco then you really don't have to worry about it.

laurensmitty1982 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laurensmitty1982 Posted 19 May 2009 , 12:46pm
post #5 of 13

I add a teaspoon of karo syrup and it does fine..

bakingatthebeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingatthebeach Posted 21 May 2009 , 4:25pm
post #6 of 13

I use the walmart brand veg. shortening. It has the transfat in it.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 21 May 2009 , 4:34pm
post #7 of 13

I use crisco with no problems

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 22 May 2009 , 12:38pm
post #8 of 13

I had to stop using the Crisco brand. I was having to many problems with it becuase of the NO trans fat. I now use Hi-Ratio shortening. You can only find this type of icing on-line or at bakery shops. This stuff is AMAZING!!!

Good Luck..

=)

cathie_shinnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathie_shinnick Posted 23 May 2009 , 3:58am
post #9 of 13

I have been using high ratio also(LOVE IT) I ran out yesterday and thought, what would it hurt to use Crisco? Bad move, way to greasy, too soft(if that makes sense) The high ratio comes out smooth, and although more expensive, worth every penny. Crusts so well, can be smoothed with "Viva" as soon as you finish frosting.

KellJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KellJ Posted 28 May 2009 , 2:51pm
post #10 of 13

I have noticed a big difference in my frosting since they have switched the crisco over. I even called the company and talked with someone and said they should still offer both kinds. My frosting doesn't seem to smooth as well as it use to. I've even noticed a difference in my RBC. I've thought about using 1/2 crisco and 1/2 store bought but haven't done it yet. Maybe on a day when I don't have any orders and I am just playing around with recipes.

Jennifer1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer1970 Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 10:12pm
post #11 of 13

I have noticed a difference in the Crisco. It is definitely softer and has more air in it. Thought I was going crazy, having batch after batch of frosting come out wonky after making the same recipe for 18 years! My husband was actually the one to shed some light on the problem. I will have to order some of the hi-ratio stuff, have never used it.

mmdiez10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdiez10 Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 10:19pm
post #12 of 13

Once you use hi-ratio shortening, it is hard to go back to the regular shortening. Such a difference.

DyMakesCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DyMakesCake Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 10:22pm
post #13 of 13

I have had major problems with the "new" Crisco. I use either a store brand or hi-ratio if I can get my hands on any. If you can get hi-ration I would highly recommend it.

The main problem I had with Crisco was that when I added colors, it would look fine. Once I put it in a piping bag the color would start to seperate and it was spotted. I hated it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%