Chocoholic Lovers Only!

Baking By lat1nacurv3s Updated 4 Jun 2009 , 1:00am by havingfun

lat1nacurv3s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lat1nacurv3s Posted 17 May 2009 , 3:35pm
post #1 of 9

Hello All!! I'm a newbie here to the forum and to baking. I've only made the doctored up cake mix types and think they're fab! At least I haven't had any complaints from my fam or friends.

I'm looking for some additional heavenly decadent chocolate doctored up cake mix recipes though. I've seen several different recipes here in the forums. And I've also purchased a few cookbooks (Hello, Cupcake, and books by The Cake Mix Doctor).

But I was hoping that some of you members wouldn't mind sharing your fav's in this post. Possibly including fillings and frosting's as well. Maybe share your fav chocolate pairings too?

The following red velvet cupcake recipe is not my own, it's from the book Cupcakes from the Cake Doctor. It's divine and I've been told it was better than Sprinkles red velvet cupcake. WHOA!

I did not use the white chocolate peppermint cream cheese frosting as suggested in the book. Instead I made a regular cream cheese frosting (with pure vanilla) and topped it with finely chopped pecans...so very scrumptious!!

Red Velvet Cupcakes
1 pckg (18.25 ounces) plain German chocolate cake mix
1 pckg (3.4 ounces) vanilla instant pudding mix
1 cp sour cream
1/2 cp water
1/2 cp vegetable oil
1 bottle (1 ounce) red food coloring
3 large eggs
Fold in:
1 cp miniature semisweet chocolate chips after mixing other ingredients.

Bake 350 deg for 18-20 min. Makes 22-24 cupcakes.

P.S. I want to try my hand at a peanut butter frosting and pair it with a chocolate cupcake. I got this from Barefoot Contessa called Kathleen's Peanut Butter Icing, here's the recipe:

* 1 cup confectioners' sugar
* 1 cup creamy peanut butter
* 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
* 3/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
* 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
* 1/3 cup heavy cream

Place the confectioners' sugar, peanut butter, butter, vanilla, and salt in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Mix on medium-low speed until creamy, scraping down the bowl with a rubber spatula as you work. Add the cream and beat on high speed until the mixture is light and smooth.

THANKS TO ALL YOU CHOCOHOLICS!! icon_biggrin.gif

8 replies
Criola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Criola Posted 17 May 2009 , 3:45pm
post #2 of 9

Sounds delicious, are going to add it to "recipes" on CC

lat1nacurv3s Posted 17 May 2009 , 3:58pm
post #3 of 9

I certainly can!!!

And honestly, I'm so new around these parts I hadn't even noticed that tap marked for "recipe's".! Duuuh.....lol

thumbs_up.gif

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 17 May 2009 , 4:03pm
post #4 of 9

Welcome!! to you!! And great avatar, by the way~~
And thanks for the recipes~

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 17 May 2009 , 4:11pm
post #5 of 9

The most famous, most favorite doctored cake mix cake here on CC is the WASC - white almond sour cream cake.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

lat1nacurv3s Posted 17 May 2009 , 5:38pm
post #6 of 9

AWESOME! Thank you both very much. I got the recipe for WASC and can't wait to try it out.

lat1nacurv3s Posted 17 May 2009 , 8:35pm
post #7 of 9

I just made Devil's Food chocolate cupcakes, with chocolate pudding and pure vanilla. I topped it with peanut butter icing and chopped peanuts. They are soOoO yummylicious!!!

I'm wondering maybe if next time though I should throw in coffee in place of the water?

Or possible fill them with chocolate ganache for a sweet surprise?

I guess what I'm saying is although they are very scrumptious I want them to have that bling factor!! lol

Any ideas?

Thanks

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 25 May 2009 , 6:50am
post #8 of 9

This comes from a Women's Weekly cookbook in Australia, so everything's metric:

370g chocolate packet cake mix
1 cup vegetable oil
2 1/2 cups water
300g dark chocolate, melted
1 cup brown sugar
2 cups plain flour
1/2 cup cocoa
1 teaspoon bicarb soda
2 eggs

Use a deep 25cm round tin, using paper to make a collar 5cm above the edge. Mix all ingredients for 2 minutes on a low speed. Bake at 180 celsius for 1 hour 40 minutes.

It uses a chocolate ganache for filling. Makes a very dense, very chocolately mud cake. Just delicious - but you only need a tiny slice. Recipe says it serves 20.

havingfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
havingfun Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 1:00am
post #9 of 9

I love Darn Good Chocolate Cake. Everyone loves this chocolate cake!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%