Help...with Black Fondant!!!

Decorating By diane Updated 17 May 2009 , 11:51pm by lilboo529

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 17 May 2009 , 1:39am
post #1 of 10

i have to make a black graduation cap and thought it would be no problem! icon_confused.gif well...i started coloring my white fondant/gumpaste with black and it's not working...it's coming out purple!!!! icon_mad.gificon_mad.gif
what is going on??? icon_confused.gif i've done black fondant before...and can't seem to figure out what is happening!!! is it the humidity...the coloring...what???

any help would be more than appreciated!!! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

9 replies
Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 17 May 2009 , 1:49am
post #2 of 10

Instead of starting on with white it is easier next time to add cocoa to the white fondant/gumpaste to give it a brown colour and then add the black colouring and it will save you time and colouring and will give you your black.

Also let the fondant sit out overnight to let the develop the colour and it is usually darker the next day.

i did this once with a graduation cap and scroll cookie (it's in my gallery) and it worked perfectly and gave me a nice strong black colour.

HTH icon_smile.gif

sweettoothmom1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettoothmom1 Posted 17 May 2009 , 1:54am
post #3 of 10

I found Cake Craft paste color in Super Black. Added a bit of brown color to white fondant, then added super black. You will see a bit of purple, but i kept adding black and it came out nice. i have it on a a zoo pic in my gallery. i liked it so much i bought the super sized jar.

sgauta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgauta Posted 17 May 2009 , 12:26pm
post #4 of 10

Black is so tricky...I've started with chocolate MMF and added black to it and that helped, but it was still hard to achieve a true, dark black. These days I pretty much avoid black if I can, and if I can't I just order it pre-made. Good luck!!

diane Posted 17 May 2009 , 10:26pm
post #5 of 10

thanks guys...i thought of doing that, and usually do it with icing, but i guess i'll give it a try. icon_wink.gif

idjitmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idjitmom Posted 17 May 2009 , 11:17pm
post #6 of 10

Buy it. It's MUCH easier, & even the home made stuff is going to taste nasty w/ all the food coloring in it - and it might not even look black black anyway.

Frankyola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frankyola Posted 17 May 2009 , 11:29pm
post #7 of 10

Hi diane I took a color class some time ago what you have to do now because you have the purple fondant just add some gold or yellow to it and that it is going to neutralize the purple and you will have like dark brown color the add black and you are going to have a really nice black.

What I do to make black fondant or icing is I start with chocolate fondant and then I add the black and let it rest for couple hours if you do not want the chocolate flavor color it brown and the add the black thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Here is the color wheel
LL

diane Posted 17 May 2009 , 11:38pm
post #8 of 10

that's very interesting! icon_rolleyes.gif i am going to give that a try. hopefully i can salvage my fondant.

thanks so much for the tip...i really appreciate it!!!! icon_wink.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 17 May 2009 , 11:43pm
post #9 of 10

It can be the brand of fondant you are using. I did a class once where we used a type of fondant which would not go black with regular colouring, it went green. We had to use powdered black food colour to get it to go properly black.

Also you will need a lot more colour than you think to get a true black, you just have to keep going until you are there. It is also a good idea to let the fondant sit for a while to let the colour deepen.

lilboo529 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilboo529 Posted 17 May 2009 , 11:51pm
post #10 of 10

I think you should probably let it sit over night...i had the same problem and even posted it on here mine kept turning purple after getting so frustrated i just wrapped it up and put in the fridge and to my surprise the next day it was black.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%