Does Anyone Actually Eat Fondant?

Decorating By tiggerjo Updated 15 May 2009 , 3:53pm by misserica

shanna_banana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanna_banana Posted 14 May 2009 , 8:06pm
post #31 of 43

The only fondant I have tried is MMF and Michele Foster's. LOVED them both. thumbs_up.gif I flavored the MMF with almond extract, and my nephews and my Dad couldn't get enough. My Dad said it tasted like almond cookies. I flavored MFF with Lorann's coconut flavoring. I had a lot left over and I keep pinching off little pieces out of the bag to nibble on.

The coconut fondant was the ONLY part of my last cake that my nephews would eat. They left the cake on the plate!

I have never used store-bought fondant, but I think I will try the Satin Ice (I have their gumpaste-not so tasty icon_sad.gif ) or the Chocopan. Does anyone know how the black Satin Ice fondant tastes? I have to use it in June for a Father's Day cake.

momma28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momma28 Posted 14 May 2009 , 11:24pm
post #32 of 43

I make my fondant fresh for every cake. I make marshmalfondant (MMF). It tastes really great. For most people it is a texture issue. In most adults minds they expect the frosting on a cake to melt and be creamy. Fondant is a bit chewy (it will melt but not as fast as buttercream). My experience is that alot of adults peel it off while the kids and a select few eat it. Those who eat it on my cakes are pleasently surprised. I made a baby shower cake recently for a shower I attended. The mom to be's wedding coordinator was there and upon eating the cake said "wow, it actually tastes goo" I said of course isnt that the point " she said usually a cake is beautiful and tastes horrible...I even love the fondant, do you make it, the commercial fondant tastes like a chemical spill!"

another note. When I first started (before I learned to make fondant myself) i swore I would only make buttercream cakes because of the taste of fondant and peoples aversion to it. I could smooth buttercream around sculpted cakes and everything. But then when people started wanted a lot of heavily colored cakes I started rethinking my fondant stance. I was much more comfortable with them peeling off all of that food coloring so they didnt have to eat it. It works well and then no black or red teeth LOL

L_Collins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
L_Collins Posted 14 May 2009 , 11:38pm
post #33 of 43

I make my own fondant and almost everyone that i have made cakes for loves to eat it. I think homemade fondant has less preservatives than store bought brands, therefore it tastes better. Here is a link to an excellent (and super easy) recipe! Good luck!

http://whatscookingamerica.net/PegW/Fondant.htm

kansaswolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaswolf Posted 14 May 2009 , 11:41pm
post #34 of 43

I make my own recipe of cream cheese fondant, and I've NEVER had anyone peel it off. Mine doesn't have that chewy texture either, so it's more readily accepted, I think. It flavors well: chocolate, almond, mint, vanilla, whatever... Good stuff! Bad for diets... icon_wink.gif

sheilabelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheilabelle Posted 15 May 2009 , 12:24am
post #35 of 43

kansaswolf - What is your recipe for cream cheese fondant? Do you need to refrigerate the cake after the fondant is on it?

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 15 May 2009 , 12:35am
post #36 of 43

I just peeled off, and happily ate, the marshmallow fondant off a hunk of my husband's leftover birthday cake. And it was delicious. (But I'm the girl who LOVES stale marshmallow Peeps!)

floridagal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
floridagal Posted 15 May 2009 , 12:42am
post #37 of 43

I find that most people are ok with the fondant. I've only used homemade MMF and Satin Ice. I've tasted Fondarific and it is fantastic!! I'll definetly be using that and MMF from now on. I love to work with fondant, it's easier for that BC. And I'm ok with people peeling it off their cakes. I want them to enjoy the whole experience - the way it looks and the way it tastes. So if they have to peel the fondant off to enjoy eating it, that's fine with me!

And I agree - Kansaswolf, can you share your recipe? icon_biggrin.gif

Melissa

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 15 May 2009 , 5:30am
post #38 of 43

yep i do take a bit when i'm making it lol mm that is. i made a cake for my mom, made it on Saturday, the fondant was kind of soft my sister said it was hard to cut, because it was soft, every one ate it. They thought it looked great but i put alot of butter cream under it, didn't wait for it to crust so it was bumpy and i think the butter cream meshed with the fondant. i'm not sure lol, not to bad for my first cake

kansaswolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaswolf Posted 15 May 2009 , 5:46am
post #39 of 43

Of course I'll share my recipe! It's even right here on CC:

http://cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-7060-0-Cream-Cheese-base-fondant.html

Also, it doesn't need refrigeration any more than a regular buttercream would. In other words, I refrigerate it if I'm storing unused portions, but not after it's on the cake. Also, I find it works better if it is made and used immediately thereafter, the fridge seems to make it slightly more crumbly.

At any rate, if anyone uses this, I'd love to see some pictures of what other people do with it! All but one of the fondant cakes in my pictures are done with this fondant, BTW...

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 15 May 2009 , 5:58am
post #40 of 43

I used the black/vanilla satin ice to do leather jacket.....it cracked over night and i had to redo collar grrrr.........it does not taste as good as home made MMF........atleast my family is of that opinion.

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 15 May 2009 , 6:03am
post #41 of 43

you know, my experience with serving cakes with fondant is that people usually either A) know what fondant is and want to seem wordly so they eat it or B) are so in awe of something other than grocery store frosting that they happily try it. I've never worried about fondant not being eaten. i used MFF and MMF, just depending on what I'm doing, what flavor, and how much time I have. (MFF is easier to get true white while still using real vanilla)

I've tried satin ice and fondarific samples. Fondarific tastes good, but it's chemically after the second bite or two. Satin ice is chemically to begin with. Still, their sweet and ooey-gooey, and a lot more people are ok with that than you'd think.
HTH

hilly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hilly Posted 15 May 2009 , 2:11pm
post #42 of 43

My kids LOVE it and eat it like candy, I make MMF. I like it when it's a very thin layer over a good layer of buttercream. DH doesn't like it at all but he's not a fan of the sugary sweet taste in general.

misserica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misserica Posted 15 May 2009 , 3:53pm
post #43 of 43

I personally do not like icing at all, BC or fondant when I am eating cake but to cover a cake I stink at BC, I am fondant all the way.

Shanna...I used Satin Ice black fondant, its super soft but I like it a lot and it does not taste bad. I just ordered another tub five minutes ago for a cake at the end of the month. Compared to Wilton (which I use for decorations that wont get eaten) its soft and I found it was a little temperamental...but I had a few mini disasters when I tried to make my own so Satin Ice it is. I guess it just requires a little patience that's all. I would recommend not trying to use it in a rush, HTH.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%