Jolly Ranchers To Rhinestones????

Decorating By alvarezmom Updated 18 May 2009 , 1:24pm by alvarezmom

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 14 May 2009 , 2:00pm
post #1 of 12

I've posted in the recipe forum already. But maybe some one here knows. I remember some one talking about how they made rhinestones from jolly ranchers but I can not find the thread for it.

Anyhow, the CC'er said she melted (????) jolly ranchers and then poured into the jewel mold to get the rhinestones???? Does this sound right?

Anyone?

11 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 14 May 2009 , 2:36pm
post #2 of 12

I would crush them and place the bits in the mold and bake--y'know like in the silicone molds that can take some heat in the oven.

{...I'm so excited!!! Today is my 'friday" 'cuz off tomorrow & saturday and I got my big juicy shipment of isomalt yesterday--oooooh K8t's gonna have some fun!!!!...}

But try the crushed up ones--the problem will be air bubbles--torching them will help remove air bubbles.

alvarezmom Posted 14 May 2009 , 7:34pm
post #3 of 12

Thanks. I found a recipe for hard candy online, but I really would like to use jolly ranchers

SpudCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpudCake Posted 14 May 2009 , 10:05pm
post #4 of 12

You can melt the Jolly Ranchers in the oven. Once melted you can shape the way you want. On my cake "fire hose" the water coming out of the little man's hose is melted jolly rancher.

Joanne usaribbon.gif

steffla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steffla Posted 15 May 2009 , 1:20am
post #5 of 12

spudcake I am wondering how you work with hot melted candy to shape it? How do you protect your hands? Are there any special tools required?

SweetMelissa2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetMelissa2007 Posted 15 May 2009 , 2:15am
post #6 of 12

Yeah, I would be really interested in the answer also. BTW, what molds do you use and where do you get them?

SpudCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpudCake Posted 15 May 2009 , 7:34pm
post #7 of 12

You can use a spoon or knife or anything to move it to the shape you want. Be careful not to touch the melted candy with your fingers to avoid being burned.

Joanne usaribbon.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 15 May 2009 , 9:37pm
post #8 of 12

I've been playing around with boiled sugar for a long time. It is unruly. It is undisciplined and difficult. But it is the bomb to create something.

I just got some isomalt---worlds of difference. Worth every penny if you're gonna try & do sugar work--especially for something as little as gems --I have a mold to make like lifesize gems and I barely tried it with sugar because it was so small and sugar doesn't pour well for me.

Isomalt pours like watah--it's just a day & night difference--I'm making teeny tiny things and large things as well.

This is fun...now. icon_biggrin.gif

panchanewjersey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 15 May 2009 , 9:44pm
post #9 of 12

Don't see why not, I've seen them use lifesavers hard cany to make windows like in the chapels to give that stained glass look on Family Fun. Same idea, any hard candy should work. Your supposed to put in oven. Try looking it up on Family Fun. I saw it in an magazine at the doctors office so don't have exact oven time & temp. Sorry!

kyhendry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kyhendry Posted 15 May 2009 , 10:05pm
post #10 of 12

Probably similar to making stained glass for cookies?? Found this: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20061203120120AATwXYg

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 16 May 2009 , 1:05am
post #11 of 12

Like k8t said! I have the silicone mold from First Impression Molds and it works like a charm! crush up some Jolly Ranchers and put the whole thing into the oven. Voila!

alvarezmom Posted 18 May 2009 , 1:24pm
post #12 of 12

Never heard of isomalt... what exactly is that? Do you just pour it into the molds and that's it? **LOL** Probably not as simple as that, but is it pretty simple to use.

I found the gems stones at First impression and wanted to buy one to test the jolly ranchers out.

beachcakes--what temp should I bake at and how long?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%