Looking For Tips/ Suggestions When Making A Giftbox Cake

Decorating By Misdawn Updated 17 May 2009 , 7:33pm by Misdawn

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 13 May 2009 , 11:37pm
post #1 of 5

Does anyone have any suggestions for me? I need to make a giftbox cake that resembles a Victoria's Secret box. It will say Christina's Secret. I'm planning to stencil this on the top with RI and paint it silver with lustre dust when the RI dries. Will that work?

I'm looking for ANY ideas and tips you have. I am planning to use foam core and cover it with gumpaste to form the lid. Also, how do you get the nice pretty straight corners on box cakes? I've never been able to do that. icon_confused.gif

4 replies
kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 14 May 2009 , 1:09am
post #2 of 5

HI, sorry i cant help. i would also like to know the answer.

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 14 May 2009 , 1:16am
post #3 of 5

How soon do you need to do the cake? My best suggestion is to Get Sugarshack's DVD. Boxes and Bows. It take you step by step through making several types of box cakes. It's amazing. I was in the process of planning a "box" cake when her DVD came out. It was such a big help to me. I got lots of good tips and ideas. I have her to thank for my nice sharp straight corners on the cake.

Good Luck and post a picture for us. HTH.

Jean

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 14 May 2009 , 4:37am
post #4 of 5

Two ways of getting sharp edges -

Roll out your Fondant/medium - let sit for about 2-3 minutes - then cut ONE square for one side of the cake -to the size you require.
By doing this your fondant wont sag or wrinkle - as you want it firm.
Lift with a spatular and adhere to the first side of cake.
If you have ganached your cake the fondant will stick.
Continue doing this for all four sides.
Then with an *edger/scraper* gently rub two of the seams together - then move on to the next seam.

OR

Roll out your Fondant/medium to the size you require and then with a ruler (i use a metal one so as for a cleaner cut) and sharp knife cut out a large cross shape - allow to sit for 2 - 3 minutes- then place your square cake on top and flip the cake over so as the cake is sitting the right way up.
Gently smooth the fondant DOWN to the base of the cake.
Again - take your *edger/bench sracper* and gently in a circular motion go over the seams.

I use my metal smoother to clean the bottom edgers on the cake board.
Hold it at an angle - and press down - or just use a sharp knife and slowly trim off excess.

Hope this helps - but i honestly find that by letting the fondant SIT for a few minutes is the best way to go - as it firms just enough to lift.
Bluehue. icon_smile.gif

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 17 May 2009 , 7:33pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks for the responses. I need to get started on the cake this week. It's due the 21st. I'm trying to make it look like a VS box with the lid off one corner and a little bra and panties hanging out the open side.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%