Mmf Quantity?

Decorating By carolyn1489 Updated 13 May 2009 , 3:59pm by Misdawn

carolyn1489 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carolyn1489 Posted 13 May 2009 , 3:04am
post #1 of 6

Hi everyone...
I'm going to be making MMF for the first time, but my question is...what does one batch of MMF cover?...I want to make 2 8" rounds (4" high) and was wondering if one recipe would be enough to cover them? Also, any secrets I need to know when using MMF...I'll be glad to get away from the Wilton fondant--YUCK!! Thanks!
~Carolyn

5 replies
Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 13 May 2009 , 3:07am
post #2 of 6

One batch should cover that.

jenlane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenlane Posted 13 May 2009 , 3:08am
post #3 of 6

i was able to cover 1 9" 2-layer teir and 1 6" 2 layer teir (rounds) with one batch. i was a little worried at first but ended up having just enough. you should have plenty for 1 8". HTH icon_smile.gif

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 13 May 2009 , 3:11am
post #4 of 6

Ok. Do yourself a favor and get 2 things. 1- a good electronic scale 2 - a Wilton Dake decorating book with the charts in it at the back that says how much cake batter, how long, how much icing and how much fondant (2 different pages).

So, one full recipe of MMF is about 3 lbs. MFF is about 5 lbs. Each 8" x 4" tall round requires 24 oz of fondant. so that is 48 oz. So that is 3 lbs. You should be fine.

Good luck!
HTH

gloria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gloria Posted 13 May 2009 , 6:48am
post #5 of 6

Something I've learned and have used EVERY time.

MMF can still be sweet (but not yucky like Wilton). Add a little lemon reconstituted? juice to it. Takes a lot of the sweetness out.

I've had people peel off the fondant (as usual) and then amazingly - they start eating it separately!

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 13 May 2009 , 3:59pm
post #6 of 6

Also, depening on how humid your climate is, you probably won't need to add the entire bag of powdered sugar like the recipe calls for. I usually leave about 1/2-1 cup of powder in the bag. I have always found that when i add all the sugar, the fondant is very unmoldable and crumbly. It tends to crack more too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%