Stupid Question...

Decorating By toodlesjupiter Updated 6 May 2010 , 3:50am by tonedna

toodlesjupiter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toodlesjupiter Posted 12 May 2009 , 9:29pm
post #1 of 17

Is it possible to carve (a penis cake) out of a tres leches cake? Never made one before, but they're really wet, right? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

16 replies
tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 12 May 2009 , 9:34pm
post #2 of 17

lol....It might be too creamy...OMG..no pun intended..
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 12 May 2009 , 9:35pm
post #3 of 17

interesting question...wish I had an answer...here's a bump

Frankyola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frankyola Posted 12 May 2009 , 10:25pm
post #4 of 17

I would say maybe carve it before add the milk? icon_redface.gificon_redface.gif I think icon_redface.gif

tonedna Posted 12 May 2009 , 10:26pm
post #5 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankyola

I would say maybe carve it before add the milk? icon_redface.gificon_redface.gif I think icon_redface.gif

icon_lol.gif ...i gotta say I am watching this thread for replies...icon_lol.gif
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Frankyola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frankyola Posted 12 May 2009 , 10:40pm
post #6 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankyola

icon_lol.gif ...i gotta say I am watching this thread for replies...icon_lol.gif
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Me too!!! icon_redface.gificon_redface.gif

toodlesjupiter Posted 13 May 2009 , 4:47pm
post #7 of 17

Thanks for the replies, ladies! I was thinking of carving before adding the milk as well, but I'm afraid that adding the fondant after that, it may still be too soft. What do you think?

tonedna Posted 13 May 2009 , 6:32pm
post #8 of 17

I dont know wich recipe of tres leches you are using, but the tres leches we do in Puerto Rico is a sponge cake that is soft and I wouldn't even dare to carve.. So I guess the only one who knows how strong your recipe is, is yourself, guessing you have done the recipe before.
Edna icon_smile.gif

toodlesjupiter Posted 13 May 2009 , 8:02pm
post #9 of 17

I've never made tres leches cake before.... not my favorite, but I have a request. I figured it was pretty impossible to carve, but just thought I'd ask in case I'm mistaken. I've only even eaten it once. I told them I couldn't do it with tres leches, but any other flavor I would. I'm waiting to hear back. Thanks for all of your help!

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 10:03pm
post #10 of 17

I know this is really old, but I read this and thought you could *do it* with one of those penis shaped pans. It would have the *hard* edges from being baked rather than the *soft* carved ones. I'd be afraid of the fondant though, maybe whipped icing...peanut butter or chocolate flavored!

toodlesjupiter Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 4:11pm
post #11 of 17

Thanks for the *heads-up*...... will keep that in mind for the future!

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 1:24am
post #12 of 17

Tres leche cake has 3 different kinds of milk in it. At least mine does. And a very wet cake. I don't think you could carve it, even before, you put the milk on. Because you won't have the outside crust then to hold the structure together after you put on the milks. I wouldn't go near that one. You are liable to end up with a soupy mess.

toodlesjupiter Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 3:08pm
post #13 of 17

Thanks Jackie-
That's what I thought, so I ended up not doing that one. I appreciate the info, for future reference!

Tata65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tata65 Posted 2 May 2010 , 1:05pm
post #14 of 17

INTERESTING ?. I WOULD USE A MOLDED PAN AS ALREADY MENTIONED THEN I WOULD WET IT BUT NOT OVER SOAK IT AND PUT IT IN THE REFRIG OVERNIGHT, THEN INSTEAD OF USING FONDANT I WOULD USE FLESH TONE WHIPPED BUTTER CREAM AND MAYBE PROVIDE THE MIXTURE OF THE 3 MILKS ASIDE AND LET THEM POUR IT ON THEM SELF. I FIND THAT A LOT OF PEOPLE DON'T LIKE THE SOAKED WETNESS.

I MADE A LARGE BIBLE CAKE I SPIT IT AND POURED THE TRES LECHES MIXTURE ON THE BOTTOM SPIT END THEN I ADDED CUSTARD FILLING. I THEN PLACED THE TOP PART OF THE CAKE BACK IN PLACE POUR SOME MORE OF THE MILK MIXTURE ON TOP. I LET IT SIT FOR AN HOUR OR 2 THEN I FROSTED WITH BUTTER CREAM AND THE CAKE WAS DELICIOUS. IT WAS MOIST AND WET BUT NOT SOAKED.THAT WAS WHAT I MOST GOT FEED BACK ON ITS PERFECT MOISTNESS. IT HAS NOW BECOME MY SIGNATURE CAKE. I KNOW THIS MIGHT BE LATE BUT FOR FUTURE REF.

tonedna Posted 2 May 2010 , 6:22pm
post #15 of 17

You are right on the fact that some people don't like it soaked, but the people who grew up with the tres leches, love the fact that is drenched. I know for example in Puerto Rico we love our rum cake to be soaked in syrup and rum. But some other people find it too sweet. So really depends on the person.
Edna icon_smile.gif

Tata65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tata65 Posted 5 May 2010 , 9:22pm
post #16 of 17

hey edna
i love it soaked too lol da wetter da better i am p rican too so i know what u mean, but for some its always a matter of taste. i love your how to videos on utube i learned so much from them thank u for posting them. good luck and keep posting :+)

tonedna Posted 6 May 2010 , 3:50am
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tata65

hey edna
i love it soaked too lol da wetter da better i am p rican too so i know what u mean, but for some its always a matter of taste. i love your how to videos on utube i learned so much from them thank u for posting them. good luck and keep posting :+)

Thanks so much for the complements!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%