Can't Add Color To Candy Melts?

Decorating By ZlatkaT Updated 6 Jul 2009 , 10:16pm by Unlimited

ZlatkaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZlatkaT Posted 12 May 2009 , 8:26pm
post #1 of 22

I am frustrated. I just melt some white Candy melts, add black Wilton paste color to it, and it changed consistency to hard mash or what...
I added a little Crisco, and reheated, but no change. I know they sell candy melts in colors, but, I need it many colors to my image. I was excited to use something different as Image transfer than FBCT.
What happened?

21 replies
j-pal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
j-pal Posted 12 May 2009 , 8:30pm
post #2 of 22

Regular paste color is not meant to be used in chocolate. It has water in it. Water will mess up chocolate every time. You need to use candy colors to color your chocolate with or a powdered color. Good luck!

ZlatkaT Posted 12 May 2009 , 8:38pm
post #3 of 22

Aww, I need to run to store. Would you explain to me more, if you mean to buy already colored candy melts, or do they (Michaels) sell a different color to color the melts??

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 12 May 2009 , 8:42pm
post #4 of 22

Wilton sells special candy colors that look exactly like the paste colors. They're usually near the candy melts in Michaels.

I have successfully used paramount crystals with regular paste color, but I don't believe you'll find that at Michaels.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 12 May 2009 , 8:43pm
post #5 of 22

They sell candy colors next to the candy melts. Any color that is water based or any water that gets into the chocolate will make it seize up.

j-pal Posted 12 May 2009 , 8:47pm
post #6 of 22

Sorry if I wasn't clear! Like Beachcakes said - you can buy special candy colors pretty much anywhere you buy candy melts. Of course, if available, I prefer to buy the candy already colored! For instance if you want pink chocolate, you can use mostly white and then add one or two disks of red. Of course, they don't have a lot of color selections of premade chocolate available at most retail stores, but what they do have usually comes in handy! Good luck!

nickymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickymom Posted 12 May 2009 , 8:55pm
post #7 of 22

I just colored my white candy melts last night a taco shell color using wiltons food coloring and didn't have a bit of problem so it can be done. I think your may be over melting your chocolate maybe.

Criola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Criola Posted 12 May 2009 , 9:00pm
post #8 of 22

J-pal that is a great idea, I never thought of adding already colored disks. Thanks =)

ZlatkaT Posted 12 May 2009 , 9:04pm
post #9 of 22

Thank you for your advice.. On Friday I am going to make my first ganache cake, and was excited to try chocolate transfer, but I screw up already with my melts... my little one need to go take nap, can't go to store... so I decided to do color flow RI transfer. I hope I can put it to the Ganache cake....would you think so?

j-pal Posted 13 May 2009 , 2:01am
post #10 of 22

Sure you can. I would probably pipe some good sized blobs of royal icing or colorflow on the back of the hardened piece to stick it on your cake. This way the plaque will sit up a bit off the top of the ganache and won't be as likely to soak up the moisture.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 13 May 2009 , 2:41am
post #11 of 22

You also can add flo-coat to your white chocolate...then... you can add your regular Americolor gels to color the chocolate. It's wonderful stuff!

Jennifer icon_smile.gif

ZlatkaT Posted 13 May 2009 , 2:54am
post #12 of 22

Thank you so much everyone! I decited to do instead RI color flow, as I screw up my chocolate image. But maybe next time I will check in to it. Would like to learn more abot it. Great responces. Thank you.

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 13 May 2009 , 3:51am
post #13 of 22

I definately ditto the flo-coat idea. I found it by accident while browsing Country kitchen and never looked back!

misabel99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misabel99 Posted 13 May 2009 , 6:02am
post #14 of 22

what's flo-coat? icon_redface.gif

ayerim979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ayerim979 Posted 13 May 2009 , 6:13am
post #15 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by misabel99

what's flo-coat? icon_redface.gif

Im definately gonna have to google that one would love to know what that is.

thank you ladies for the tip icon_biggrin.gif

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 13 May 2009 , 11:51am
post #17 of 22

I also use the wilton paste colors in candy melts ... no problem. I'd guess either your colors were old or you overmelted the chocolate.

DsLady614 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DsLady614 Posted 13 May 2009 , 12:39pm
post #18 of 22

According to everything I've read, normal Wilton paste colors are not intended for use in candy. If you've done it and it worked, WOW, because it isn't supposed to work. Water-based product and chocolate do not mix.

I am going to be embarking on my first attempt at this here in a couple days. I was told by the lady at the cake store that she has had the most success with powder colors. So that's what I bought. I guess we will see how it works out. She said you can use the flo-coat, which is an additive, but she didn't recommend it because it takes so much, 5 drops to 1 drop of color.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 13 May 2009 , 12:44pm
post #19 of 22

I stopped using the powder colors in chocolate because the mints I was making always looked like speckled eggs that you get at easter.

The pastes (which are more like a gel consistency anyway) are all I keep on hand.

Oh wait!!! They are not the wilton brand! They are CK brand. Maybe that makes a difference?

jamiekwebb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiekwebb Posted 13 May 2009 , 12:53pm
post #20 of 22

I always use the wilton gel colors... or paste. I just add it a beofre I start to melt and then a little at a time until I achieve the right color. But don't over heat or it won't work.

souplady74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
souplady74 Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 9:53pm
post #21 of 22

Ok, I have now ruined a pound of white chocolate using the FloCoat and Americolor gel color. It is still seizing on me!!!!!!!! I'm VERY frustrated at this point! I'm doing it exactly how it says to do it. Melting the chocolate, putting the flocoat in, and adding the color on top of of the flo coat. I even tried mixing the color with the flocoat before adding it! Any help??????? I'm afraid to try it again as I have to drive 45 minutes to get more chocolate and don't want to waste anymore!

Thanks!!

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 10:16pm
post #22 of 22

Before you throw out your seized up chocolate, just add milk to it. You might have to nuke it in the microwave first, but milk will do the trick... after all, it's milk chocolateright?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%