Cake Mix Versus From Scratch

Decorating By Tracy08 Updated 13 May 2009 , 1:34am by cylstrial

Tracy08 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tracy08 Posted 12 May 2009 , 8:26pm
post #1 of 4

I bake cakes for family and friends but am hoping that my business continues to expand. I have yet to find any from scratch cake recipes that I like - I just can't find cakes that have the flavor or moistness of my favorite box mix. That being said, I feel a bit guilty when people rave about the cake when I used a box mix (everything else though - fillings and frostings - are from scratch).

Do others who "sell" cakes use mixes? Or can you point me in the direction of scratch recipes that you like as well as mixes? If you are a mix person...is there a website or place where you buy your mixes in bulk - so I don't have to buy 3 or 4 mixes for larger cakes!

Thanks!

3 replies
j-pal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
j-pal Posted 12 May 2009 , 8:36pm
post #2 of 4

If you do a search for this by topic, you'll find lots of heated opinions about this. There are die hards on both sides. My personal opinion is that if it's good, and your customers think it's good, why change it? It doesn't hurt to try different things and expand your horizons, but don't feel obligated to change for anyone else. There are lots of recipes on this site under the recipes tab that you can try if you're feeling adventurous!

As far as buying in bulk, I have a friend who uses Pillsbury (I think) that buys regular white cake in large bags and then dresses it up from there. You might have to just check with the company whose brand you like. For instance, I know, at one time, the only way to buy Betty Crocker in bulk was just by the case... they were the same sized box, just more of them. That was a few years ago, so I don't know if they've started carrying a commercial line or not. Your best bet is to just check out their websites. Good luck!

mellee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellee Posted 13 May 2009 , 12:00am
post #3 of 4

Tracy08, yeah what j-pal said. There are lots of heated opinions about this. Personally, I like box mixes, doctored box mixes, AND scratch cakes. But I know what you mean about finding a scratch cake recipe with the moistness of a box mix. Don't worry about people raving over your box mix cakes. If they like them--cool beans! icon_smile.gif

Lots of people who sell cakes uses mixes, including some very expensive and exclusive bakeries. There are lots of companies that make and places that sell bulk cake mixes. Here is just one company that makes them: http://www.dawnfoods.com/Public/Dynamic/Products/ProductsCategory2.asp?cat0=4&cat1=2&PTid=2 Do a Google search and you'll find places that sell this product. I think Pillsbury makes a 50 lb bag too. Just search and you'll find it. Hope this helps! icon_smile.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 13 May 2009 , 1:34am
post #4 of 4

I'm pretty sure I read in a similar thread this week that pillsbury does sell a 50lb bag cake mix.

My favorite scratch cake recipe is called Killer Chocolate cake. It's a recipe that I found on here. I just make a vanilla simple syrup to go on it and everyone loves it!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%