Stacking Question

Decorating By Tootall Updated 11 May 2009 , 2:57pm by Tootall

Tootall Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tootall Posted 11 May 2009 , 1:50pm
post #1 of 11

Ok, I'm going to be attempting a crawfish boil cake for my Major's retirement party here at work. I'm planning on making it a 10" chocolate WASC cake, and I'd like to make it 3 layers. I've read that if I make it that tall, I need to use horizontal and verticle supports. So I was planning on stacking the two layers like I usually do, then putting a cake board down and then putting the 3rd cake layer on top of that, then using dowels hammered all the way through into the bottom cake boards. My question is, is that correct? And second, what can I cover the middle cake board with? Won't the board get soggy if I just leave it plain cardboard? I use Wilton boards, if that helps. I'm not a pro, just a hobby baker. I REALLY don't want my major's cake to fall all over the place. LOL Thanks for your help guys! I'm excited about this one. icon_smile.gif

10 replies
michellesArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellesArt Posted 11 May 2009 , 2:00pm
post #2 of 11

oh i need to bump this cuz i have a similar question-how do you keep the icing from sticking to the layer/icing/tier under it? i had a consultation recently and my bride and her mother were obsessed about this issue and would like to know if i can reassure them that it won't be a problem (they are for now opting for seperate cakes) hope we get some answers soon icon_smile.gif

Tootall Posted 11 May 2009 , 2:03pm
post #3 of 11

Oh, I hope so, too! icon_smile.gif I know the experts around here can answer both of our questions icon_biggrin.gif

Joybeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joybeth Posted 11 May 2009 , 2:04pm
post #4 of 11

I am NO expert. I've never heard of putting cardboard in between 3 layers. hmmm. I always just stack right on top of each other with a dowel through the middle... When I stack my cakes I put a plain wilton cardboard in between the cake and the silver covered cake board on top of the dowels. It never sticks. I just make sure my dowels are just barely above the icing. Does that make sense?

mrswendel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrswendel Posted 11 May 2009 , 2:08pm
post #5 of 11

Hi there,

That's exactly how I would do it. I usually cover my cardboards with foil or saran wrap...either works fine to keep the board from soaking up moisture. (Anything over the 4-5 inch tall range should have additional support.)

With respect to the icing sticking to the bottom of the cakeboard, you can use icing sugar sprinkled where the cake will be...or cut a piece of waxed paper the size of the cakeboard and set it on that. That way, when they go to serve the cake, they take off the top tier, peel off the waxed paper and everything is where it should be.

HTH. icon_smile.gif

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 11 May 2009 , 2:12pm
post #6 of 11

I did a 3 layer wasc 10" for my daughters birthday and didnt use cardboard or dowels, but I didnt have to take it anywhere either...its in my pics Amanda's rainbow cake.
As far as how to keep the icing from sticking to the underside of the cardboard you can cut a circle of wax paper the same size as the cardboard and lay that on the cake then the cardboard with the next tier on it, or some people also use coconut.

Joybeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joybeth Posted 11 May 2009 , 2:15pm
post #7 of 11

Oh yeah forgot that helps too. I've also just spinkled powdered sugar on top to keep it from sticking.

Tootall Posted 11 May 2009 , 2:29pm
post #8 of 11

Ok, thanks guys! I wasn't sure if the foil would get into the cake when I hammered the dowel through or not. Biting into tinfoil is NOT cool. icon_lol.gif
The rainbow cake is awesome! I love the colors inside icon_biggrin.gif So pretty! I think I'll dowel it JUST to make sure it survives the trip in to work. icon_smile.gif Thanks for your help, everyone! I really appreciate it! icon_biggrin.gif

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 11 May 2009 , 2:38pm
post #9 of 11

You can also use shaved white chocolate to keep it from sticking. (some folks don't like coconut!)

michellesArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellesArt Posted 11 May 2009 , 2:46pm
post #10 of 11

and the waxed paper won't make the next tier slip? (i think i would use doublestided tape to adhere it to the bottom of the board) that is my only concern (i did watch edna's video so i feel comfortable stacking)-and thanks tootall for sharing your post with me-i think we both got our answers icon_smile.gif

Tootall Posted 11 May 2009 , 2:57pm
post #11 of 11

I think so, too! icon_biggrin.gif No problem. My mama always told me I should share icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%