Royal Icing Best For Storing Cookies On Top Of Eachother??

Baking By dmeyer1974 Updated 11 May 2009 , 3:50am by sarah0418

dmeyer1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmeyer1974 Posted 10 May 2009 , 1:52am
post #1 of 5

I am new to doing cookies and wanted to know if everyone uses royal icing for their cookies? I plan to make come flower cookies on sticks and place in a flower pot- and then have the other ones stacked on top of eachother in a container-
what is the best icing to use so the frosting does not come off- and what is the best way to store them? Do I put wax paper between each layer?

thanks
Dana

4 replies
ZlatkaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZlatkaT Posted 10 May 2009 , 1:58am
post #2 of 5

Royal icing is really good for decorating cookies. I am using RI for years and am happy. Before you stack them, make sure your cookies are absolutely dry. My takes minimum 4 hours before I pack them. First I like to pack them in cello bags with a ribbon, and then I put them in a box with bubble packaging material to prevent breakage. If am not shipping, I just stand them strait in the box without padding. The icing can't break when is dry. Hope that helps. Excuse my English...

BarbaraK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BarbaraK Posted 10 May 2009 , 2:02am
post #3 of 5

You could also use fondant on your cookies. There is no risk of damage when you stack them.

DsLady614 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DsLady614 Posted 10 May 2009 , 12:35pm
post #4 of 5

The third option is a glace icing. There are several recipes here for it. That is what I use. It dries hard enough to stack but is still nice and soft inside. It is not as versatile as royal. You can't make shapes, like you could with royal, but I think it works really well. The cookies in my album are all glace, or check out a lady named kneadacookie... or I think there are a couple others who make it work really well.

I personally prefer the taste. If they are going to be stacked for long, I'd put wax paper in between, but just a few days, there is really no need.

sarah0418 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarah0418 Posted 11 May 2009 , 3:50am
post #5 of 5

I only use Antonia74 royal icing. You can find the recipe under the recipe tab. Search for cookie icing. It dries hard enough to stack, but still soft enough to bite into. IMHO, it is the easiest icing to work with and has the best finished appearance.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%