Can Someone Please Help Me?!!!

Decorating By Jan14grands Updated 9 May 2009 , 2:44pm by Anntee

Jan14grands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jan14grands Posted 9 May 2009 , 2:13pm
post #1 of 8

I'm about to pull my hair out icon_cry.gif I did a baby shower cake - two tier. Turned out really nice. Got it done early evening, next morning there was a crack and icing bulged out. Not from the filling, but just the icing itself coming away from the cake! I have to deliver it around 1:00 today and am paniced. I can fix it, but I NEED to figure out what happened. There is a fondant band around the botton of each tier about 1" tall. I'm wondering if this could cause stress or something. Any advice? THANKS

7 replies
momnzoes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momnzoes Posted 9 May 2009 , 2:17pm
post #2 of 8

Did you allow the cakes to settle before applying icing/ fondant? I have had similar problems when I didn't let the tiers sit for a while (or overnight if possible). Also, icing may have been too dry when you applied fondant bands, so they didn't stick.

MnSnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MnSnow Posted 9 May 2009 , 2:18pm
post #3 of 8

Did you use dowels for support? Did you use enough of them?

Sounds more like it settled and caused the problem

Jan14grands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jan14grands Posted 9 May 2009 , 2:25pm
post #4 of 8

funny thing is it's on the top tier. And there were supports on the bottom tier. Maybe I need to ice and let sit longer.

bcake1960 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bcake1960 Posted 9 May 2009 , 2:27pm
post #5 of 8

I had this happen to a buttercream cake it was like an air bubble popped up right in the middle of the top of the cake.. luckly I had not written on the cake yet.. waited until morning for that... good thing.. I used a pin and just poked it (corsage type pin ) and then used a viva papertowel to smooth back down again.. I could tell. but we know every imperfection on our cakes) but the customer never knew a thing! get out the pin and start smoothing with the viva..it will be fine..

rockytop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rockytop Posted 9 May 2009 , 2:31pm
post #6 of 8

If it is iced with bc , and if there is no design in that area I would remove what did not stick and add more icing. It sounds like too thick of icing in that area, and it was to heavy for it to adhere to the cake. My cakes have done this before.

HTH
Roger

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 9 May 2009 , 2:38pm
post #7 of 8

Yes it's just a cake fart~occupational hazard. Chilled cakes generally do not fart like room temperature cakes.

There's a ton of theories but I don't know of anything that is 100% fart-free.

Anntee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Anntee Posted 9 May 2009 , 2:44pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

Yes it's just a cake fart~occupational hazard. Chilled cakes generally do not fart like room temperature cakes.

There's a ton of theories but I don't know of anything that is 100% fart-free.

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%