I'm Getting Scared!!

Decorating By bemshelt Updated 9 May 2009 , 12:54pm by FlourPots

bemshelt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bemshelt Posted 8 May 2009 , 8:16pm
post #1 of 5

I have a cake order for next weekend and I'm seriously losing sleep. It's for a graduation party of about 130 people. She wants a 3 layer topsy turvy cake (12, 10, and 8 inches). I've never done a topsy turvy. My pans are 3 inches deep so if I do 2 layers for each cake it's going to be a HUGE cake. I've been having the WORST time with layer bulge here lately too. icon_redface.gif I'm thinking of making the world's thickest buttercream for the middle. Every cake I've one lately has had it. Should I bake on Thursday, frost on Friday, and put fondant on Saturday before the party? How hard is it to cover a topsy turvy in fondant?Should I take it there to assemble? AAH, I'm so scared!! Do you guys have any tips for me?

4 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 8 May 2009 , 8:21pm
post #2 of 5

Calm down..It is not as scary as you think..I would bake wednesday..Ice tiers and refridgerate them over night until they are good and cold.In the morning if there is any buldging it will show then..You can scrape the excess icing from around the cake to get rid of the buldge and then cover with fondant on Friday.Do all the extra embellishments etc then.I always have my cakes done 1 day in advance in case of any un expected circumstances.Then you have enough time to fix it.I wouldn't put it all together on the saturday of the party as it gives you no time to fix it if there is a problem!..Time Management is key!! HTH!! icon_smile.gif

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 8 May 2009 , 9:05pm
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by bemshelt

I've been having the WORST time with layer bulge here lately too. icon_redface.gif I'm thinking of making the world's thickest buttercream for the middle. Every cake I've one lately has had it.

Maybe Macsmom's tip can help you...she combines cake scraps with BC and uses the thickened mixture to make her dams.

bemshelt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bemshelt Posted 9 May 2009 , 4:35am
post #4 of 5

Thanks guys! I've just been stressing about this cake for a week now. I've asked Edna about 100 questions. I just love this site. I love that there are so many people with the same interest. icon_biggrin.gif

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 9 May 2009 , 12:54pm
post #5 of 5

Here's another thread that might help with the bulging: http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-630640.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%