Buttercream

Decorating By ninatat Updated 8 May 2009 , 8:56am by JanH

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 7 May 2009 , 10:40pm
post #1 of 4

i started my class and love it. she gave us a recipe, but i want to use indy's everybody said they love it. hers calls for white butter and a hunk of something else. lol. it wasn't to sweet, not like wiltons, but i'd like to use things i have in the house, this should be fine right

3 replies
sweetsbystacy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsbystacy Posted 7 May 2009 , 10:52pm
post #2 of 4

Hi nina,

I just used indydebi's buttercream for the first time over the last week and it doesn't call for any butter at all, just shortening. It was YUMMY. I added Italian Cream coffee creamer as part of the milk and it was SO creamy.

Maybe you have a different recipe from her, but that's the one I used. I would think, though, that you could take in any buttercream you want.

HTH!
Stacy

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 8 May 2009 , 8:08am
post #3 of 4

i beleive the problem with taking in a different bc is that your instructor maybe wont have any experience with it, so if you start having problems, then they wont be able to help you.
xx

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 8 May 2009 , 8:56am
post #4 of 4

You can probably get by with frosting your cake with any American crusting buttercream you like. icon_smile.gif

However, in order to make the flowers and other decorations properly - you'll need to make and use the Wilton class buttercream. (It's fairly cheap to make and you can reuse it for practicing your flowers, etc.)

As brincess_b said, the instructor is familiar with the class buttercream and knows how it will perform. If you bring in something else and have any type of problem/s - she won't know if it's your technique or your frosting.

(Your instructor will also show you how to gauge the consistency of your frosting (thick, medium and thin) to use for frosting, crumbcoating or making decorations. She can't help you with this if you don't bring in the Wilton class buttercream.)

FYI, here's indydebi's b/c recipe:
(It uses Crisco white shortening and Dream Whip.)

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-6992-Indydebis-Crisco-Based-Buttercream-Icing.html

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%