Freezing Cakes Question...

Decorating By carolyn1489 Updated 8 May 2009 , 10:19am by cakeandpartygirl

carolyn1489 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carolyn1489 Posted 7 May 2009 , 3:59pm
post #1 of 10

I offered to make my cousin's bridal shower cake a few months ago...my aunt called to to set up the date, and of course, it's the day before my daughter's 1st birthday party...I'm going to be so busy prepping for the party, so my question is...
I know I can make and freeze the cakes ahead of time, but can I freeze them filled and iced, and if so, for how long?...the cake is just going to be 8" round, WASC, filled with raspberry preserves, and I was probably going to use indydebi's crisco based buttercream (I've never used it before, have read good things about it, using it this weekend for a mother's day cake)...would I be able to freeze it filled and iced, then just pull it out and let it thaw, then put the fondant accents on once it thaws?....
Thanks so much for all your help!
~Carolyn

9 replies
Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 7 May 2009 , 7:49pm
post #2 of 10

I've heard many people say that you shouldn't freeze an iced and filled cake.

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 7 May 2009 , 7:59pm
post #3 of 10

I don't know, but here's a bump.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 7 May 2009 , 8:56pm
post #4 of 10

Sure you can. Look in my photos...I did a banquet with more than 80 cakes. I could never have done this without baking, torting, and filling ahead of time and putting everything in the freezer.

carolyn1489 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carolyn1489 Posted 8 May 2009 , 2:44am
post #5 of 10

um....80...wow!!!!...that makes me feel like such a slacker for being worried about 2!!!...and your 80 were beautiful!!...and you DONATED them!!...omg...thanks so much for your hellp!

KarenOR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarenOR Posted 8 May 2009 , 2:47am
post #6 of 10

Yeah, WOW...80! I bow to you.

KarenOR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarenOR Posted 8 May 2009 , 2:54am
post #7 of 10

Yeah, WOW...80! I bow to you.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 8 May 2009 , 4:49am
post #8 of 10

Just because you're "only" doing two cakes in one weekend does not make it any less stressful, Carolyn! I really don't like doing two cakes in one weekend because it stresses me out.

The banquet thing in only once a year, thank God. 3 days of work and 7 days of rest. icon_biggrin.gif:

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 8 May 2009 , 6:25am
post #9 of 10

Girl 80? WOW WOW WOW. Thats a lot of eggs, flour, shortening and PS!

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 8 May 2009 , 10:19am
post #10 of 10

If I were to freeze them I would only crumb coat them. Then when you take them out of the freezer you could do the final icing and then let it come room temp and add your fondant accents.
Cakepro I guess with 80 cakes that definitely makes you a pro!!! icon_smile.gifI know that was cheezy but I had to say it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%