Gumpaste # Topper... Can I Bake It?

Decorating By jolie1977 Updated 7 May 2009 , 2:50pm by PinkZiab

jolie1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jolie1977 Posted 7 May 2009 , 3:40am
post #1 of 8

I have yet another question... I'm making a #50 topper for a 50th BDay cake out of gumpaste/fondant (1/2 and 1/2). How do I get them to dry very fast so that they stay in an upright position in 2 days? Can I put it in the oven without ruining or cracking the fondant/gumpaste? An even bigger question is how would I make my individual numbers "stand up" on my cake? The numbers are in the shape of a "tube", about 1/2" in diameter.... I don't know if I'm making any sense, but I've seen many toppers like it on other cakes here on CC, but for the life of me I can't quite figure out how to make them stand up... there's not really any way to stick a dowel inside the numbers and toothpicks wouldn't be strong enough to hold the height of the numbers...

I'm almost ready to just let my fancy topper idea go, but if anyone can help, I'd love to get this to work!

Sincerely,
Joline ;o)

7 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 7 May 2009 , 4:03am
post #2 of 8

I would use a wooden skewer inside the numbers.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 7 May 2009 , 4:19am
post #3 of 8

use a small skewer to make them stand up.. dry fast with a little fan.. dust cornstarch under the numbers...keep turning them.. you can even lay them on airy like styrofoam.. you can also.. put them in the over on 150 degress F.... 66 degrees C...

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 7 May 2009 , 10:23am
post #4 of 8

why not just make it all out of gumpaste, will dry even faster.
xx

jolie1977 Posted 7 May 2009 , 12:45pm
post #5 of 8

The wooden skewers would work if the numbers were anything other than a "0" and a "5", but how do you stick through a wooden skewer without seeing it go through the number??? That's my dilemma... There must be a way because I've seen it done, I just can't seem to wrap that around my head.

I have my numbers drying on a drying wire rack and they seem to be drying pretty good. I think I have that part under control! Thanks guys!!!

If anyone can provide more insight on getting those numbers to stand up for me, I'm open to some brainstorming ideas!

Joline ;o)

courtney1009 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
courtney1009 Posted 7 May 2009 , 12:45pm
post #6 of 8

I do a lot of numbers. I put it under a fan and I turn it a couple of times. I insert sucker sticks to make them stand up. I used to use toothpicks or try to prop it up one something, but the sucker sticks are much better.

jolie1977 Posted 7 May 2009 , 2:42pm
post #7 of 8

I just tried adding a photo of my "topper" as an attachment to my Post but for some reason it's not working...

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 7 May 2009 , 2:50pm
post #8 of 8

Run two wooden skewers into the SIDES of numbers, rather than a single one through the middle.

Here's a quick diagram to show you what I mean (the red lines indicate where the skewers go). But remember need to put these skewers in BEFORE the numbers dry!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%