How To Make A Monogram Topper

Decorating By sherry-o Updated 7 May 2009 , 8:20pm by kandu001

sherry-o Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherry-o Posted 6 May 2009 , 5:13pm
post #1 of 9

Does anyone know the best way to make a monogram topper? How do you get it to stand up securely? What is best to make it out of, fondant, gumpaste, other? I think the mongrams are so pretty used as a topper. Any tips or tutorial would be greatly appreciated!

8 replies
RomesGal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RomesGal Posted 6 May 2009 , 6:28pm
post #2 of 9

My son is getting married next year and I too would be interested in how to do this. thanks in advance..

stlcakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stlcakelady Posted 6 May 2009 , 6:33pm
post #3 of 9

It may help for you to tell us or post a photo of what type of monogram topper you're referring to.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 6 May 2009 , 6:39pm
post #4 of 9

you can pipe it from RI or chocolate. insert the wire/ skewer/ coktail stick/ spaghetti when wet. or use extra to stick it on once dry.
you can use fondant, chocolate paste, or gumpaste to model it from too. insert the wire/ skewer/ coktail stick/ spaghetti before its dry. you can lie it on the back once dry, and either cover with extra material or use ri/ chocolate.
maybe search the gallaries for monogram, you should find some of the variations there.
xx

Lambshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lambshack Posted 6 May 2009 , 6:48pm
post #5 of 9

I make very simple, whimsical initials using fondant 'snakes' and tapering the ends a little narrower. Once I have the shape or letters formed, I put toothpicks in the lower portion (leaving about 2/3rds of the pick showing) to help secure them in the cake. The I put the whole thing in my dehydrater for a few days, or at least overnight. Depending on how thick your snakes are, it might take a little longer. You can also mix in a little gumpaste with your fondant to help it dry faster, although I find this makes them even more fragile. Sometimes an additional letter as back-up might be a good insurance policy! Really large or thick letters/numbers might require more of a cocktail skewer or bamboo stick inserted further up for more support.

I have never had a problem with my monograms falling over, however you can always add some simple flowers or stars or other shapes to the base to help 'prop' it if needed, or even to hide any portion of the toothpick that might show.

hope this helps!
Lisa

kandu001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandu001 Posted 7 May 2009 , 12:30am
post #6 of 9

If you make your monograms thick enough, or flat enough, you can use a popsicle stick to hold it up when using fondant.

Creative_chika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Creative_chika Posted 7 May 2009 , 6:15am
post #7 of 9

This was a great question, very informative...

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 7 May 2009 , 11:36am
post #8 of 9

If you are making a gumpaste or fondtant piece, you can also lay them in a "bed" of powdered sugar - that way you don't get any flat spots on them from them laying flat. (sometimes if it is a heavy piece you can tell where it has laid to dry)

kandu001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandu001 Posted 7 May 2009 , 8:20pm
post #9 of 9

I also rotate them when they're drying. If you stick support in them, you could even let them dry by sticking the support in foam or something.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%