Fondant... From Scratch Or Not?

Decorating By jolie1977 Updated 11 May 2009 , 11:55am by Loucinda

jolie1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jolie1977 Posted 6 May 2009 , 1:35pm
post #1 of 20

I'm relatively new to decorating and love using fondant, although the only fondant I've used to date is the Wilton Ready-Made Fondant. I find the taste "OK", but I feel there has to be room for improvement. I tried a recipe for fondant from scratch, but am still not 100% convinced that it's the perfection I'm seeking, the one I tried was almost TOO sweet... I'm wondering if most professionals make their own fondant or purchase "ready-made" fondant? What's most cost-efficient and also time-saving? Any suggestions would be much appreciated!!! I have 3 wedding cakes to make, all with fondant, and would like to find the "perfect" fondant that would be "time efficient", "cost-saving", of good consistency AND "melt in their mouth" ! Does that even exist??? ;o)

Sincerely,
Joline

19 replies
RetiredNavyChief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RetiredNavyChief Posted 6 May 2009 , 1:38pm
post #2 of 20

Which fondant did you try? I have made the MMF, but i do see alot of people on here use the white chocolate fondant. Check out the receipe section, it has really helped me.

Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 6 May 2009 , 1:42pm
post #3 of 20

Personally I like the taste and consistency of Satin Ice. I have yet to try to make my own, but will eventually icon_biggrin.gif

BakerzJoy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakerzJoy Posted 6 May 2009 , 1:45pm
post #4 of 20

I use Marshmallow fondant. It's easy, yummy and very inexpensive to make. I just made 6 batches yesterday for a cake this weekend and it cost me about 10 bucks to make it all. You can flavor it with extracts and even add cocoa powder to make chocolate which is awesome. You should try making it one time and see how easy and cheap and delicious it is. I'm sure you'll be hooked!! All it really is, is 1 bag of marshmallows and a bag of powdered sugar. Check out the recipe section and look for the recipe. Good luck!!

jolie1977 Posted 6 May 2009 , 1:47pm
post #5 of 20

How do you know which recipe most people use? I keep looking for the highest rated recipes, but sometimes there's only 3 or 4 votes... I was thinking of ordering "Satin Ice" as it seems relatively well priced... does it taste good?

bcake1960 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bcake1960 Posted 6 May 2009 , 1:49pm
post #6 of 20

Imake and use MMfondant *see recipe section* I think its great and have had many compliments on it.. the one thing I have noticed is that some people like fondant and some don't. I think its a texture thing, that doesn't seem to change.. I started adding flavoring to mine as well Wedding Bouquet YUM... one thing I know for sure.. Its a heck of a lot cheeper and WAYYYY better than Wilton.. YUCK.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 6 May 2009 , 1:49pm
post #7 of 20

I use Satin Ice (and most of the professional kitchens I've worked in use commercial fondant as well). When you work in high volume, it's more cost-effective to buy it than make it. Now I'm not working in a high volume kitchen at present, but I still love the way Satin Ice tastes and handles, and the price is well worth not having to make it (and not having to COLOR IT!!) myself. Yes it costs a little more than making it myself, but time is money as well, and my time is better spent on other things, when Satin Ice is as good as the fondant I make from scratch.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 6 May 2009 , 1:59pm
post #8 of 20

I make my own using Michele's Foster's Delicious Fondant recipe. I am a hobbyist and Satin Ice is simply too expensive to use. I was awarded a gift certificate for Satin Ice recently and was so excited to get to try it. So many of the pros here suggest it. I was very disappointed in the smell and how quickly it dries out. After the cake is covered it becomes rock hard. It tastes okay though. I guess I'm just spoiled by Michele's recipe.

This is the original posting of the recipe:
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-3663-Michele-Fosters-Delicious-Fondant.html

jolie1977 Posted 6 May 2009 , 2:00pm
post #9 of 20

Thanks everyone! I will definitely try the MMF so that I can say I've tried it! I think I've now been convinced to try Satin Ice though... when I saw the price yesterday online, I calculated that it would only be a couple dollars more costly than making my own... I just needed some testimonials about the product to raise my confidence in spending the money to get it! I have 3 kids so saving time is also very important (and you're so right PinkZiab, time IS money!).

jolie1977 Posted 6 May 2009 , 2:02pm
post #10 of 20

OK Win, you have my attention! I shall try Michele Foster's recipe! I have a cake to make for Friday and won't have time to get Satin Ice by then anyway, so I need to get creative in the meantime and would like to stay away from Wilton if I can! ;o)

jolie1977 Posted 6 May 2009 , 2:12pm
post #11 of 20

Win, the corn syrup it calls for in the recipe... would it be "white corn syrup"? I'm assuming it would have to be, otherwise the fondant wouldn't be pure white.... The one I have at home is called "Lily White Corn Syrup" (brand: CROWN).

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 6 May 2009 , 2:24pm
post #12 of 20

Indeed, white corn syrup is what you will be using. Michele is known on here as Sugarflowers and has a website that will answer all your questions:

http://www.thesugarfix.com/

Click on recipes.

She prefers that you go to the website as it seems there are always many questions asked on CC. She has tried to respond to all of the questions in the recipe section of her website. As well, the version on her website has recently been updated by Michele, herself.

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 6 May 2009 , 2:28pm
post #13 of 20

A quick word of warning .... Michele has three versions of her fondant in the recipe section. I sent the wrong one to someone yesterday and finally searched the forums to find out which one was right.

from Michele:

Quote:
Quote:

Some mistakes were made when I typed the updated version of the fondant recipe. When I make fondant, I usually make a batch and a half, so I got my ingredient totals mixed up. It has now been corrected.

The correct amount of gelatin is 2 Tbsp., 2 Tbsp. butter, 2 Tbsp. glycerin.

I am very sorry for the confusion. Most of the time when I make it I'm just throwing things together and when I have to write them out, I get a little confused. Crying or Very sad

I will try to get all of the information updated so please bear with me. I really am trying to be helpful. I will try to fix any other mistakes I have made. So far I seem to have only made a bigger mess.

The name is Michele Foster Fondant, MFF. It is under Fondant/Gumpaste and Frostings.

This is from the "MFF Corrected" thread. http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6347291-.html#6347291

DollyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DollyCakes Posted 6 May 2009 , 2:34pm
post #14 of 20

We make our own MMF and it's inexpensive, easy to make, and tastes great!

AverageMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AverageMom Posted 6 May 2009 , 4:54pm
post #15 of 20

I cannot recommend MMF enough! It's cheap, it's easy, and it's yummy! I can make it with no notice, since we always have marshmallows and powdered sugar in the house. Use a bit of Crisco on your hands when you're mixing it, and that keeps it from drying out. I am too cheap to pay big bucks for fondant plus shipping!

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 7 May 2009 , 12:44am
post #16 of 20

I currently use Satin Ice but I suggest you try Jennifer Dontz's semi homemade recipe. I would guess that is is the best ever chocolate fondant in existence.

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 7 May 2009 , 1:17am
post #17 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by RylanTy

I currently use but I suggest you try Jennifer Dontz's semi homemade recipe. I would guess that is is the best ever chocolate fondant in existence.

Jen's recipe is on her DVD's. http://jenniferdontz.com/ I've used her pearl clay and it is wonderful. I'll be making her chocolate fondant for a cake this weekend ... icon_biggrin.gif

KitchenKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenKat Posted 7 May 2009 , 3:35pm
post #18 of 20

Another vote for Michele Foster Fondant. Since I discovered it I've never used anything else. on my 6th cake with it and counting.

sugarycreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarycreations Posted 11 May 2009 , 5:50am
post #19 of 20

The Wilton fondant is nasty tasting. The MMF tastes better, but not great. The MMF I found very frustrating to work with as, just like marshmallows, it stretches & springs back.

I've not tried making Michele Foster's recipe yet and have given it some consideration. Tried 2 packages of Pettinice fondant & was pleased with it. The vanilla tasted good & the chocolate was quite yummy. It was MUCH easier to work with than MMF. Has me very eager to try the Satin Ice. If it is as big an improvementover the Pettinice Fondant as the Pettince was over the MMF, I may not try anything else unless I taste if first on somebody's cake. icon_wink.gif

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 11 May 2009 , 11:55am
post #20 of 20

I use MMF - have tried Satin Ice and I don't know if it was me or not - but it seemed like it "gave" too much for me. I don't know if I felt that way because I am used to the way MMF handles?? I am not a high volume fondant user, so it isn't a big deal for me to make my own (and I can kind of "brag" that I did make it icon_wink.gif ) I have making the MMF down pat, so it doesn't take me long to whip out a batch of it when needed.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%