Users That Have Done/do Purse Cakes.....

Decorating By cupcakesnbuttercream Updated 7 May 2009 , 5:38am by bakermommy4

cupcakesnbuttercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 6 May 2009 , 6:01am
post #1 of 16

First I would like to say FINALLY! CC is working for me!!!...I haven't been able to access the site for WEEKS!!

icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif
On to the topic: I just got my first order for a LV cake...yay!...and I have some questions for the people who have already 'tackled' the purse cakes.

1)How did you make the handles stand up?
2)What did you use for the logo?
3)How did you carve the shape?
4)How long did it take you?
MOST IMPORTANTLY....5)How much did you charge?

Thanks everyone!!!!

15 replies
cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 6 May 2009 , 6:27am
post #2 of 16

It's a ton of purse cake pics in the galleries......anyone????

panchanewjersey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 6 May 2009 , 6:55am
post #3 of 16

Well, I made my first LV diaper bag, I free hand carved the cake. I also made my handle lay down being that it was a diaper bag, I had a blanket coming out of bag. And I didn't make it days in advance I made it all the same day..weird I know. For the LV symbols I printed out a picture online of the symbols and free hand painted them with small paintbrush and gold luster dust & tequila(didn't have vodka). And I know I only charged her $80 but it really was a small cake just looks big in pic. Maybe it would feed 20. She loved it. Well that's what I did. I know that other people make their stencils and others have airbrushed Lv, some even made their own LV symbols out of foam. Didn't have time for all the hassle so I did it freehand. Took me around 3-4hrs to make it though. I hope this helps.

cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 6 May 2009 , 7:54am
post #4 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by panchanewjersey

Well, I made my first LV diaper bag, I free hand carved the cake. I also made my handle lay down being that it was a diaper bag, I had a blanket coming out of bag. And I didn't make it days in advance I made it all the same day..weird I know. For the LV symbols I printed out a picture online of the symbols and free hand painted them with small paintbrush and gold luster dust & tequila(didn't have vodka). And I know I only charged her $80 but it really was a small cake just looks big in pic. Maybe it would feed 20. She loved it. Well that's what I did. I know that other people make their stencils and others have airbrushed Lv, some even made their own LV symbols out of foam. Didn't have time for all the hassle so I did it freehand. Took me around 3-4hrs to make it though. I hope this helps.

Thank you so much...this does help alot!!!

cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 6 May 2009 , 7:58am
post #5 of 16

oh, your cakes are awesome! Is the cake you are talking about the coach cake in your pics?....

mvucic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mvucic Posted 6 May 2009 , 8:13am
post #6 of 16

Hi There!

I made a stencil to make my LV logo and sponged it on using gold luster dust/vodka. It was my first try, so it did come out a little messier than I wanted, but still looked okay.

My handles were just resting on the side of the cake. They were made of gumpaste. I did have a toothpick supporting it at the bottom of each handle.

The cake took me a less than 4 hours to complete. Most of the gumpaste pieces had to be done as I went since they needed to conform to the body of the bag. The only thing I premade and let dry was the lock.

I used a regular 9x4 inch loaf pan and baked two separate cakes, torted and stacked them. It ended up being about 6 or so inches tall. I found that size pan represented best to me the shape of the LV Speedy bag. I had very little carving as the top of the baked cake came out with a rounded top. I just tried to make sure the bag was symmetrical.

Wish I had more time to put it on a nicer cake board. Always tell myself I need to get new ones icon_sad.gif

Good luck and post your pics when you're done!

Mirjana

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 6 May 2009 , 8:33am
post #7 of 16

I've done a couple of them.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1332842

For this one, I baked an 8" square choc cake. Then I cut it in half, so that I had two rectangles that were 8" x 4". Then I stacked them on top of each other.

Next, I carved the top to get the sloping effect.

Thin covering of buttercream over everything and then covered the whole thing in marzipan (I always use this as it helps keep everything and also gives a nice, smooth finish). I then covered with chocolate paste.

I printed out a sheet of the pattern at the size I wanted it, then embossed it all over the cake, and then painted with gold lustre dust mixed with a 50/50 mix of confectioner's glaze and clear alcohol.

The handles I made from pastillage and allow them to harden (takes a day) before royal icing them in place. This is by far the hardest part of the cake!!!

Good luck. Hope this helps.

Suzanne x

Relznik Posted 6 May 2009 , 8:35am
post #8 of 16

Meant to say, to get a bag this shape:

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1271385

I still started with an 8" square cake, but the way to cut it is across the horizontal, but diagonally.

So have your knife angled from top left to bottom right.... and cut across.

Then you have two sort of triangular pieces which you then stand up and 'stick' back to back to each other with buttercream.

You just need to round off the corners to get the shape.

Suzanne x

cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 6 May 2009 , 8:45am
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvucic

Hi There!

I made a stencil to make my LV logo and sponged it on using gold luster dust/vodka. It was my first try, so it did come out a little messier than I wanted, but still looked okay.

My handles were just resting on the side of the cake. They were made of gumpaste. I did have a toothpick supporting it at the bottom of each handle.

The cake took me a less than 4 hours to complete. Most of the gumpaste pieces had to be done as I went since they needed to conform to the body of the bag. The only thing I premade and let dry was the lock.

I used a regular 9x4 inch loaf pan and baked two separate cakes, torted and stacked them. It ended up being about 6 or so inches tall. I found that size pan represented best to me the shape of the LV Speedy bag. I had very little carving as the top of the baked cake came out with a rounded top. I just tried to make sure the bag was symmetrical.

Wish I had more time to put it on a nicer cake board. Always tell myself I need to get new ones icon_sad.gif

Good luck and post your pics when you're done!

Mirjana

Your cake was one that i saved for inspiration!!!! Is it ok if i pm u for more instructions in the near future???

cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 6 May 2009 , 8:50am
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relznik

I've done a couple of them.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1332842

For this one, I baked an 8" square choc cake. Then I cut it in half, so that I had two rectangles that were 8" x 4". Then I stacked them on top of each other.

Next, I carved the top to get the sloping effect.

Thin covering of buttercream over everything and then covered the whole thing in marzipan (I always use this as it helps keep everything and also gives a nice, smooth finish). I then covered with chocolate paste.

I printed out a sheet of the pattern at the size I wanted it, then embossed it all over the cake, and then painted with gold lustre dust mixed with a 50/50 mix of confectioner's glaze and clear alcohol.

The handles I made from pastillage and allow them to harden (takes a day) before royal icing them in place. This is by far the hardest part of the cake!!!

Good luck. Hope this helps.

Suzanne x

What do you mean when you say you 'embossed' it on the cake?
Thanks! BTW, you cake is soooo close to the real thing & your pattern is perfect!!!

Relznik Posted 6 May 2009 , 9:02am
post #11 of 16

I literally pinned the piece of paper to the top of the cake and then traced over the pattern with a scriber (or even a pencil or pen will do - just make sure not to tear the paper, LOL) so that it left an indentation. Then, when I took the paper off, I could see where I had to paint.

icon_smile.gif

cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 6 May 2009 , 9:04am
post #12 of 16

oh how cool!!! and easy enough for me! lol thanks so much.

mvucic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mvucic Posted 6 May 2009 , 4:04pm
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Quote:

Your cake was one that i saved for inspiration!!!! Is it ok if i pm u for more instructions in the near future???

Aww, thanks! I'm flattered. Yes, you can PM me. icon_smile.gif

Mirjana

bakingpw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingpw Posted 7 May 2009 , 12:43am
post #14 of 16

You've gotten so many answers, but I'll add my 2 cents:
I always start with a cake somewhat in the shape that I need. If the cake is to be fairly large and round, I bake in a stainless steel bowl, if it is to be long and narrow, a long loaf pan, etc. Then I ice with BC between the layers, Then FREEZE, then trim and carve until I get the desired shape. I have used bamboo handles - found in the craft store. Or use fondant and have handles hanging down the sides. I ALWAYS charge $4.50 per serving for all 3D cakes. I paint on any details. Hope this helps.

cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 7 May 2009 , 5:15am
post #15 of 16

Thanks bakingpw! How do you know how many servings are in each 3d cake though? do you just estimate?

bakermommy4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakermommy4 Posted 7 May 2009 , 5:38am
post #16 of 16

I too have a question on the purse cake...how do you get the handle to stay up. I know most use gumpaste...but wouldn't the weight of the gumpaste just scream disaster? I am lost on the handle issue but don't want the handles to be down.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%