The Fridge Or The Freezer...anyone Noticed A Difference?

Decorating By PennySue Updated 6 May 2009 , 2:36pm by Shelly4481

PennySue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PennySue Posted 6 May 2009 , 3:53am
post #1 of 5

I usually freeze my cakes while they are still hot so that they steam while cooling. I'm doing a really large wedding cake and I don't have room in my two fridges combined to freeze all of them. Has anyone simply wrapped and refridgerated their cakes while they are hot and had good results? I'd really appreciate some thoughts on this!!
PS

4 replies
Creative_chika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Creative_chika Posted 6 May 2009 , 3:57am
post #2 of 5

I'm sorry I cant help... But I woud love to know the answer to this question...

Solecito Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Solecito Posted 6 May 2009 , 4:07am
post #3 of 5

Putting hot foods in the fridge or freezer makes you waste energy. They consume more electricity because the motor has to be running longer to lower the temperature.

PennySue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PennySue Posted 6 May 2009 , 4:15am
post #4 of 5

True, I think about that (energy and all) every time I put a hot cake in the freezer, but....the taste and moistness that results from this method far outweighs that drawback..in my opinion (for what its worth).

I do have a fridge/freezer designated for my cakes but in this case I'm looking at 4 tiers, 12", 10", 8" 6" and two 1/3 sheet cakes. Thus, the question about fridging vs freezing.

PS

Shelly4481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelly4481 Posted 6 May 2009 , 2:36pm
post #5 of 5

I have 2 cakes in my freezer right now, 4 tier and a 3. I bake over two/three days, after the cakes are froze you can place them right on top of each other. Also found a nother trick when in a hurry, if I am done with the last cake and pans, I will put them in the freezer covered in saran good then put the pan on top of that. It protects it and you can stack right on top of it right away. Hope this makes sense. I would really like to get a bigger freezer, mine is kinda small but since I just use it for cakes it is ok.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%